What's for Dinner, Wednesday, 3/16
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone tonight? I hope Shannon and Allison are having b'day cake!!

Change of plans for us. My aunt is not feeling well, so we'll go over tomorrow instead of today (hoping she'll feel better) and get this darn mac and cheese out of our house!! It'll be a mini-family reunion, my sister, one of her daughters and her (sister) husband will meet us for lunch. We don't get together too often.

But, tonight we'll have Easy Slow Cooker Short Ribs with Red Wine (from Southern Cooking, about.com) - I cooked it yesterday for tomorrow and tasted it last night, it's wonderful!! Will have some noodles and broccoli with it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Wednesday, 3/16 by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I just bought my first ever cast iron skillet and will break it in by making blackened steak salads. Garlic bread too.
  Re: What's for Dinner, Wednesday, 3/16 by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I'm going to put a pork butt in the slow cooker with some carrots, parsnips, and onions. Then I'll do a mash of potatoes and celery root. It's sort of a "welcome home" dinner for Francois.

We're thinking of running in to town to get an oil change on the van, and grab our corned beef, and maybe go taste beer again . . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wednesday, 3/16 by Harborwitch (I'm going to put a p...)
Chicken teriyaki, steamed rice and snow peas. Dessert will be Girl Scout cookies!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wednesday, 3/16 by Mare749 (Chicken teriyaki, st...)
Oh my, this was one of the most flavorful dishes I think I've ever done in my slow cooker. I didn't take the time to reduce the liquid at the end because I wanted as much for leftovers and hash, so I used a little demi-glace powder to thicken the jus to drizzle over the noodles and short ribs.

Easy Slow Cooker Short Ribs With Red Wine - Southern Cooking about.com

3 tablespoons olive oil
4 pounds beef short ribs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 can condensed beef broth -- (approx. 10 3/4 ounces)
1 cup dry red wine

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Put flour, salt, and pepper in a large food storage bag or bowl. Toss the short ribs to coat throughly. Sear on all sides until browned. Put in the slow cooker. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the short ribs. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.

Remove the ribs and pour juices into a gravy separator or skim off fat. Discard the fat and pour the juices into a saucepan. Put the ribs back in the slow cooker (remove the bones, if desired) and keep warm.

Simmer the juices on the stovetop for 5 to 6 minutes, until reduced by about a third. Serve along with the short ribs.

Serves 4.

------
so few ingredients and so very good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wednesday, 3/16 by Mare749 (Chicken teriyaki, st...)
Congrats on the cast iron skillet! You're gonna LOVE it!

I'm making a roasted pork sirloin and Chipotle-Spiced Sweet Potato Chili.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wednesday, 3/16 by Gourmet_Mom (Congrats on the cast...)
I forgot to add - Robert Hall Viognier and Ravenswoood Zin were both excellent with the Short Ribs.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wednesday, 3/16 by Trixxee (I just bought my fir...)
I now have 4, in different sizes and love them all. If you ever get a chance to get a dutch oven, go for it! Have fun!
PJ
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wednesday, 3/16 by pjcooks (I now have 4, in dif...)
I have three very nice Le Creuset dutch ovens! I do love them! My frying pan however is not porcelain covered like they are. I just couldn't afford the $120 price tag and decided to try a Cuisineart pan instead. I guess it's porcelain on the outside - it's blue! LOL
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wednesday, 3/16 by pjcooks (I now have 4, in dif...)
Oh, yes, on the Dutch oven! Braising is GREAT!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.