Review Wood Poached Salmon/Hominy Hummus-Issue 86
  Re: (...)
This meal was a very pleasant surprise! When planning our weekly menu, we usually try something involved for Sundays. Since it was just the two of us this particular Sunday, and we were trying to work from our pantry and freezer, the Wood Poached Salmon fit the bill. Had to purchase hominy, it's not something we generally eat, otherwise, we had the ingredients.

I followed the recipe exactly and wouldn't suggest any changes to the ingredients, but the method was not quite clear. The recipe says you'll have extra Court Bouillon for another use. So, maybe you only need part of the bouillon for the recipe. It's not clear.

Making the wood court bouillon was straight forward. I strained it twice, the second time through cheesecloth to get rid of the small burnt particles.

Our daughter thought there was a fire in the house - our hood isn't very effective! - Just a warning!

So, now with the ~2 quarts of court bouillon you are to poach the salmon, then add tomatoes, beans and honey to the stock for a broth. I followed all of that, but then the salmon was swimming in the bouillon. Next time, I would oven bake the salmon on a rack with the bouillon in the pan. Use the rest of the bouillon for the serving broth.

Nevertheless, the flavor was wonderful. Very mellow. We thought the chipotle would had some heat, but it only adds flavor.

I hope some other try this and weigh in on their opinions.
  Re: Review Wood Poached Salmon/Hominy Hummus-Issue 86 by HomeCulinarian (This meal was a very...)
Hmmmm, interesting.

My inquiring mind really wants to know about the Hominy Hummus. ???????? I can just see eating that with a spoon????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Review Wood Poached Salmon/Hominy Hummus-Issue 86 by Harborwitch (Hmmmm, interesting. ...)
I'm not big on poaching fish, but maybe I ought to try this. Thanks for the review, Jeannette.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review Wood Poached Salmon/Hominy Hummus-Issue 86 by cjs (I'm not big on poach...)
Maybe I will try this one. I have a couple of cans of hominy on hand (I love posole for a lunch in cold weather), and salmon, just have to find the wood chips. Thanks for the review (nudge?!) Jeanette!

So goes my early afternoon break, back to scraping wallpaper.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com