Pizza Dough Pretzels
  Re: (...)
I'm looking for different items to make with pizza dough and first up was playing with pretzels. Man, these are tasty little suckers.

I had 9 oz. of dough that I used chicken 'goop' and jus for part of the liquid (which is an excellent flavor, by the way) and divided it in 9 portions
[Image: pretzeldoughstrips.jpg]

Ready for the oven -
[Image: Pretzelsreadyfortheoven.jpg]

And, here are the results of the first recipe for the section of pizza book for fun things to do with pizza dough....

[Image: PizzaDoughPretzels13Mar.jpg]

now, back to the thinking board.

Oh, by the way, nibbling on these just call for beer - Theresa, right up your alley!!! Barbara likes beer also, doesn't she?

I'm editing this post to add the recipe to the pictures.
O.K., got the recipe typed up -
Pizza Dough Pretzels

Having rounds of pizza dough in the freezer makes it so easy to play with the dough and make something other than pizza from it. One of my favorites is to make pretzels. You can make any size, but I usually have 9 to 10 oz. pkgs. of pizza dough in the freezer, so that’s what I go with. For a nice appetizer-size pretzel, cut the dough into 9 pieces for 9 1-oz. pretzels.

Break of the desired amount of dough, roll it between your hands to form a long thin cylinder or ‘snake.’ Extend the length as far as possible without the dough breaking, but if it does, just stick the pieced back together and keep rolling.

To form the pretzel: take the two ends of the dough and point them toward each other as if to make a circle, but let each end pass the other and stick them together a few inches past. Take the ends and pull them towards the top of the circle and attach them slight past the circle.

In a deep pot, heat 6 cups water with 2 T. baking soda; stir the baking soda to dissolve. Bring just to a boil; then add 3 to 4 pretzels, depending on the size of pretzel and size of pot – you don’t want to crowd them. Leave in the water for 15 seconds, turn over and continue for 15 more seconds. With a spider or slotted spoon, remove the pretzels to a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper.

Brush the tops of the pretzels with a beaten egg and sprinkle with you choice of topping:

Kosher salt
Finishing salt
Garlic powder
Oregano
Sesame Seed
Poppy Seed
Cinnamon
Sugar
McCormick's Salad Surpreme sprinkles

Bake the pretzels in a 350° F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops of the pretzels are golden brown. If not serving right away, they can be warmed in the Microwave oven on HIGH for about 15 seconds to just soften them a little.

The pretzels are great served with a German mustard, honey mustard or mustard of your choice and a nice cold beer.

a Chef’s Journey tip: If you don’t have access to pizza dough, refrigerated canned biscuit dough or frozen pizza dough works well, also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pizza Dough Pretzels by cjs (I'm looking for diff...)
How fun! I love the idea of using the goop dough for this. What else did you put one the pretzels? I see sea salt, but it looks like you played with seasoning....Or is it a trade secret?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pizza Dough Pretzels by Gourmet_Mom (How fun! I love the...)
Some I put salt and garlic powder, and the 3 on the right side of the picture has McCormick's Salad Supreme on them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza Dough Pretzels by cjs (Some I put salt and ...)
Cool! Their cute! And I bet they were yummy, too!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pizza Dough Pretzels by Gourmet_Mom (Cool! Their cute! ...)
Those look really good, Jean. I'm curious...what is chicken goop? Did it give the pretzel any chicken flavor? Also, I'm curious about the method. I thought pretzels were like bagels in that you had to put them in boiling water for a minute before baking. Did you do that? That is the reason I haven't made pretzels yet.

Have you tried making pretzel dogs like they have at the malls? Those are yummy.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pizza Dough Pretzels by Mare749 (Those look really go...)
Here's the recipe I made, Maryann - and they are so easy and fast. The 'goop' is the 'fond' that is on the sheet pan along with a little of the cicken jus when you roast chicken, it is so tasty. I've been playing with different liquids to add to pizza doughs. This is a good one, you do get a nice subtle chicken flavor to the dough.

Oh, oh, can't post it right now - I forgot I haven't typed it up, still hand written. But, I did boil them for 15 seconds on each side,(edited to add: boiled in 6 cups water + 2 T. baking soda) removed them to a baking sheet and topped them with an egg wash and goodies (kosher salt, garlic powder, salad supreme sprinkle, or just about anything) and baked them. They are so good.!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza Dough Pretzels by cjs (Here's the recipe I ...)
Those look heavenly. Yes, hot pretzels are another one of my weaknesses.
  Re: Re: Pizza Dough Pretzels by Trixxee (Those look heavenly....)
O.K., got the recipe typed up -
Pizza Dough Pretzels

Having rounds of pizza dough in the freezer makes it so easy to play with the dough and make something other than pizza from it. One of my favorites is to make pretzels. You can make any size, but I usually have 9 to 10 oz. pkgs. of pizza dough in the freezer, so that’s what I go with. For a nice appetizer-size pretzel, cut the dough into 9 pieces for 9 1-oz. pretzels.

Break of the desired amount of dough, roll it between your hands to form a long thin cylinder or ‘snake.’ Extend the length as far as possible without the dough breaking, but if it does, just stick the pieced back together and keep rolling.

To form the pretzel: take the two ends of the dough and point them toward each other as if to make a circle, but let each end pass the other and stick them together a few inches past. Take the ends and pull them towards the top of the circle and attach them slight past the circle.

In a deep pot, heat 6 cups water with 2 T. baking soda; stir the baking soda to dissolve. Bring just to a boil; then add 3 to 4 pretzels, depending on the size of pretzel and size of pot – you don’t want to crowd them. Leave in the water for 15 seconds, turn over and continue for 15 more seconds. With a spider or slotted spoon, remove the pretzels to a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper.

Brush the tops of the pretzels with a beaten egg and sprinkle with you choice of topping:

Kosher salt
Finishing salt
Garlic powder
Oregano
Sesame Seed
Poppy Seed
Cinnamon
Sugar
McCormick's Salad Surpreme sprinkles

Bake the pretzels in a 350° F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops of the pretzels are golden brown. If not serving right away, they can be warmed in the Microwave oven on HIGH for about 15 seconds to just soften them a little.

The pretzels are great served with a German mustard, honey mustard or mustard of your choice and a nice cold beer.

a Chef’s Journey tip: If you don’t have access to pizza dough, refrigerated canned biscuit dough or frozen pizza dough works well, also.

-----

I'm thinking the next version will be with truffle dough (in the freezer) topped with truffle oil instead of egg wash and sprinkled with truffle salt - then baked and served with champagne.....We'll sit at the 'bar,' and listen to Garth Brooks sing Friends in Low Places enjoy.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pizza Dough Pretzels by cjs (O.K., got the recipe...)
Wow, thanks Jean! The kids would love these!

Say, you didn't answer my question. Have you tried making pretzel dogs like they sell at the mall?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pizza Dough Pretzels by Mare749 (Wow, thanks Jean! T...)
Oh, I meant to ask you what the are and what they look like - I've never seen them. That would be fun.
www.achefsjourney.com