What Do You Hate Most About Growing Old(er)?
  Re: (...)
Mine is a vanity thang....have you ever noticed how long ears are on old(er) men and women???? They are humungous. I used to have pretty ears, modestly speaking, but now they are getting longer and longer. Crap.

So, weigh in here and make me feel better - maybe something that bothers you doesn't bother me and I'll sigh with contentment.

(it just happens today is my Grandmother's B'day...and I'm getting to look more and more like her all the time. Anyone who has my Journey Home book can see "Mom Shelledy" on the back cover - she was a beautiful woman, but I'm not ready to go there yet. )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What Do You Hate Most About Growing Old(er)? by cjs (Mine is a vanity tha...)
Hahaha *cracks her knuckles* Well let's see -

I hate that I can't see or hear as good.
My hands hurt more
I gain weight now....now that part is just crap! Even after having Laura my weight dropped right back down 128-130 and I am SOOO far past that now

Now flip side..what I like about growing older -

I am able to stop and enjoy things a lot more. I don't have young children anymore (lol or pets)
In a few years I get to retire and we can travel more.
I don't as much what people think about me.
I have more time to do volunteer work.
I appreciate wine(s) now! (a lot lol!)
  Re: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Growing Old(er)? by DFen911 (Hahaha *cracks her k...)
Jean, do you watch "The Doctors" show that is on in the early afternoon? Just last week they showed the cosmetic surgery that a women was having done for the very thing that you hate. She was awake and they did it with a local anesthetic in a matter of minutes. Just in case you wanted to know...

Like most people, I'm not fond of the physical changes that come with getting older, but I think that the hardest part comes when we have to deal with illnesses that are more common after the age of 50. On the bright side, it's like an FYI that it's not too late to adopt a healthier lifestyle. I keep trying...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: What Do You Hate Most About Growing Old(er)? by cjs (Mine is a vanity tha...)
Saggy things, those flaps on the back of the arms. Fat ankles. I used to wear 3" heels with ankle straps, now I can't even wear the 3" heels. I'll think of more later.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Growing Old(er)? by Harborwitch (Saggy things, those ...)
It's a male thing--I have more hair on and in my ears than on my head---yuk!!! More later.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Growing Old(er)? by Old Bay (It's a male thing--...)
Quote:

It's a male thing--I have more hair on and in my ears than on my head---yuk!!! More later.

Tee hee! John is complaining that he grows hair REALLY well wherever he doesn't want or like it, but nothing where he'd like more...

I've been feeling really frustrated with the suddenly saggy skin on my neck. Yuck! Other body changes don't bother me as much, but not working this year has removed enough stress from my life that I've lost over 20 pounds, and am close to my high school/college weight. That part is GOOD!

Like Denise, I'm really glad I had both of my boys at a relatively young age. My YS was born just a few months before my 30th b-day. Both are almost on their own, and John and I are having a lot of fun together again. High school was tough for all of us! I'm also thankful that I'm comfortable enough in my own skin to care a lot less than I did in my 20's and 30's about what other people think of me.

All in all, my basic attitude about getting older is that it beats the heck out of the alternative, y'know?
  Re: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Growing Old(er)? by karyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Jean, I never thought about my ears.

Bill, that was hilarious.

"All in all, my basic attitude about getting older is that it beats the heck out of the alternative, y'know?" Dittto.

I totally agree with the comments, especially about not caring so much about what others think...maybe that's why I've let weight not be an issue any more...as long as I don't any more than I already have.

I hate all those things that are sagging, including my neck. It's funny you mentioned that, Karyn. I just recently realized just how saggy my neck had become. My eyelids have been saggy for a couple of years. Mom had hers tucked a few years ago. They look so much better. I doubt I'll be able to wait as long as she did. It was a fight with the insurance, but she finally got them to pay. She could barely see. She told me how she had to hold them up to watch tv. One more...my skin! It looks old, too!

Okay, I guess I've whined enough.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Growing Old(er)? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I never though...)
Thank you, NO, Maryann - no way in h*ll.

I told the gal who cuts my hair that if she ever goes after my nose or ear hairs or eyebrows shooting straight up, I'd never come back....

I love being older, I can say whatever I want now (mostly) and folks just attribute it to my age. One thing I don't understand is now when I swear, the grandkids think I'm eccentric - my kids just thought I had a foul mouth. Go figure.

I spit wine on the screen, Bill!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Growing Old(er)? by cjs (Thank you, NO, Marya...)
I forgot about the eyebrows. Good grief - why do they start doing that about the time the vision to go after them goes . . . ??????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What Do You Hate Most About Growing Old(er)? by Harborwitch (I forgot about the e...)
I am not alone?!?!?!

I hate my decreasing energy. I used to be able to work outside or indoors on a project, for several days in a row, all day long,but now about 3-4 hours and I'm exhausted. And I have to take a "day off" between. Rats.

Weight. *sigh*
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com