RV Pizza
  Re: (...)
I may use this idea if I do "Dinner on my Lap" (oh, cr@p - now I've shot my mouth off and committed )

[Image: DSCN5772.jpg]

This was amazing - I used King Arthur Flour's Pizza flour and the food processor with Jean's recipe for the dough. I whipped up a very simple red pizza sauce with tomato sauce, tomato paste, red wine, garlic pwdr, and herbs.

I had some issues with enough room to roll out the dough so the pizza wasn't a pretty as it could have been but it was the best classic pizza we've had in ages.

When the dough has risen you heat the oven to 450. Roll out the dough so it's big enough to fit in the cast iron pan with 1 1/2" so that it can be fluted. Put the dough in the ungreased cast iron pan - flute the edges.

Spread with the sauce, add your toppings, and cover with cheeses.

When the oven is hot - get a burner hot (preheat if electric) Place cast iron pan with pizza in it on the burner for 3 minutes. Put in oven and bake 20 minutes.

[Image: DSCN5771.jpg]

I know I shouldn't yell but - IT WORKED!!!!!! I can now have pizza when I want it. I'm going to look for a slightly bigger square cast iron pan. You don't really need to grease the pan if it's well seasoned. [Image: DSCN5769.jpg]" />
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: RV Pizza by Harborwitch (I may use this idea ...)
I can't wait to try this! It sounds so cool! And I'm betting using the cast iron will make the crust super crispy...which we love! I don't count on that unless I do it on the grill. THANKS Sharon!!!!

"I may use this idea if I do "Dinner on my Lap" (oh, [Email]cr@p[/Email] - now I've shot my mouth off and committed )" Ha! Ha! Yea, you did...with LOTS of witnesses!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: RV Pizza by Gourmet_Mom (I can't wait to try ...)
Crispy pizza dough in a cast iron skillet. It sounds wonderful and like something I may try when it's too cold to grill pizza.

I'd love for you to do "Dinner on my Lap". What a fun concept, and I know the RVers in my life would love it!
  Re: Re: RV Pizza by karyn (Crispy pizza dough i...)
I think it might be fun, not just for RVer's - but for all of those who never sit at the dinner table, or don't have a dinner table. It's an idea that just rumbles around and I think it'll be a fun project.

We picked up a cast iron griddle today - it's a little bigger than my skillet so we'll try it tomorrow. It was an amazingly crisp crust - perfection!!!
  Re: RV Pizza by Harborwitch (I may use this idea ...)
Dinner on my Lap...

I love it! What a cool title and theme! When did you say it was coming out again????
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: RV Pizza by luvnit (Dinner on my Lap...[...)
Two things; we tried the cast iron griddle last night -it was great, I got the crust too thick but it worked great.

Laura thank you! I'm not sure when. I have to start picking things and playing with some more ideas. I think this'll be fun.
  Re: Re: RV Pizza by luvnit (Dinner on my Lap...[...)
O.K., first of all, I remember you mentioning (Sharon) that you couldn't make pizza in the RV because no oven. I understand the cast iron skillet thing, but one of the steps says you put it in the oven - what oven?

If the whole point is to use the cast iron for the pizza, then my little butt is covered - this is what I use.

[Image: CastIronPizzaPan-1.jpg]

A number of us here on C@H bought these a few years ago and it's just perfect for pizza.

Sharon, did you start with the skillet heated?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: RV Pizza by cjs (O.K., first of all, ...)
I have a stupid convection/microwave oven. It does some things well - but baking bread, pizza, cookies, or things like that. Cornbread works in the cast iron pan - but I usually heat the pan to 450 before I put the batter in. It's also rather narrow, 12", so size is an issue.

The trick here is that the dough goes in/on a cold cast iron pan which then goes on the burner. I think 4 or 5 minutes might be better than 3. I like the griddle idea because you could potentially have another pizza ready to go on when the first one comes out.

This is definitely going to be played with a lot, among other things that can be eaten without a table! Wow - an idea!!!
  Re: Re: RV Pizza by Harborwitch (I have a stupid conv...)
"Dinner On My Lap" - I like it - makes the mind really start whirling!!

O.K., so this is one trend I can skip. But, I'm glad you've found a way to do pizza the way you want them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: RV Pizza by cjs ("Dinner On My Lap" -...)
[/i]...so the pizza wasn't a pretty as it could have been [/i]

Bulldinkies-- it's beautiful!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com