Cleaning out the pantry, freezers, and fridge...
  Re: (...)
Well it's been about three weeks now of cleaning out the pantry, freezers, and fridge. I have another week to go, but I have learned a few things along the way and thought I would share them with my fellow foodies.

But first, I will tell you that I embarqed on this venture as a way of expressing my gratitute for the all abundances we have been blessed with. I wanted to show myself, as well as my kids, that when we look in the pantry or fridge and whine, "We don't have anything good!" That we really do and, while things can be tight financially sometimes, we are still blessed with so much.

1. I have learned that the recipes on the box are actually pretty good. Afterall, they want to show their product in the best light, don't they?

2. Stocking up is not all it's cracked up to be. I've been on food kicks before and purchase something in bulk only to have a great abundance of it a year later and the food fad is now gone.

3. Couscous is a great, fun, quick, easy side dish. I need to get more couscous recipes.

4. Buying something on sale, may not be the best idea. I will give this more careful thought in the future.

5. Freezing MORE of our harvest from the garden is a must! As long as I freeze the 'right' things AND have a plan for it.

6. Freezing leftovers just because you are sick of them, doesn't necessarily mean they will get eaten at a later date.

7. This is the most important one, for me, LABEL EVERYTHING YOU FREEZE AND DATE IT! You will NEVER 'remember' what you froze until it is thawed out!

I will speak from my point of view only. I really didn't realize how wasteful we were, in general, I know I am not terrible, but we could do better about being less wasteful.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Cleaning out the pantry, freezers, and fridge... by luvnit (Well it's been about...)
Laura the last two points are the best. I don't know how much stuff we freeze thinking we'll eat it when we aren't sick of it any more. Of course once it's frozen you can't recognize it - or maybe the brain just doesn't want to recognize it????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cleaning out the pantry, freezers, and fridge... by Harborwitch (Laura the last two p...)
You've made some very good points. I think what you're doing is great! I guess, not having a freezer has a one advantage. When I finally get one, I'll keep your points in mind. As for the pantry part, I hear ya'! I learned this a while back and have been more mindful of not over purchasing.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cleaning out the pantry, freezers, and fridge... by Gourmet_Mom (You've made some ver...)
Over the past three weeks we have spent less that $50 on groceries. Mostly milk, eggs, bread, and things to fill in recipes. It's been eye-opening.
Laura
  Re: Re: Cleaning out the pantry, freezers, and fridge... by luvnit (Over the past three ...)
"Over the past three weeks we have spent less that $50 on groceries." WOW! I'm impressed!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cleaning out the pantry, freezers, and fridge... by Gourmet_Mom ("Over the past three...)
1. I have learned that the recipes on the box are actually pretty good. Afterall, they want to show their product in the best light, don't they?

I don't know how many "back of the box" recipes I have started with and made them my own. You're right, they want to offer the best for their products.

2. Stocking up is not all it's cracked up to be. I've been on food kicks before and purchase something in bulk only to have a great abundance of it a year later and the food fad is now gone.

I have two suggestions for you if you weaken and do some bulk buying. I try to do this whenever I do buy in bulk, but sometimes I don't and I'm always sorry. Here are a couple of examples:

freezer - good deal on ham hocks. I use a sturdy plasic grocery bag to keep them in together so they don't go all over the freezer and in that bag, I either put a list of recipes I want to use them for (whether I do not doesn't matter, I may find new ideas, but at least I know basically what I wanted to do) in the bag with the ham hocks.

pantry items - if they are unique, say a tapenade or a chutney, I'll rubber band the idea(s) I want to use this item for to the container.

3. Couscous is a great, fun, quick, easy side dish. I need to get more couscous recipes.

YES, couscous is our friend!!

4. Buying something on sale, may not be the best idea. I will give this more careful thought in the future.

Same as above.

5. Freezing MORE of our harvest from the garden is a must! As long as I freeze the 'right' things AND have a plan for it.

I agree, even if someone tells me somethng can't be frozen/canned, I'll give it a try and a lot of times I surprise myself that it is fine or it at least can be used in a cooked dish.

6. Freezing leftovers just because you are sick of them, doesn't necessarily mean they will get eaten at a later date.

I agree.

7. This is the most important one, for me, LABEL EVERYTHING YOU FREEZE AND DATE IT! You will NEVER 'remember' what you froze until it is thawed out!

This one ought to be tatooed on all of our foreheads!!!!

Good thinking, Laura - now, come back in one year and tell us if you were successful in carrying out these commandments.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cleaning out the pantry, freezers, and fridge... by cjs (1. I have learned th...)
Great tips, Jean. The best thing is giving it a name..."these commandments." or Kitchen Commandments....cool!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cleaning out the pantry, freezers, and fridge... by Gourmet_Mom (Great tips, Jean. T...)
Kitchen Commandments... I love it!

I will have to see how I adhere to my newfound knowledge and see if I turn that knowledge into wisdom over the next year. I will report back in one year Jean!
Laura
  Re: Re: Cleaning out the pantry, freezers, and fridge... by luvnit (Kitchen Commandments...)
Laura, you ought to print them out and put them on your pantry door with today's date on it.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cleaning out the pantry, freezers, and fridge... by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, you ought to ...)
Good idea! I was wondering how I would remember.
Laura