Cashew Cheese
  Re: (...)
Hi,

I found this recipe on Foodgawker. Has anybody experimented with cheese made of nuts?
Looks really interesting.

http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2...th-photos/

I soaked my cashews last night and they are draining now. I am dying to know how it comes out.
  Re: Cashew Cheese by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]I found t...)
Marina, that is just fascinating! (oh boy, is Denise gonna love this one!) I'm copying it and will wait to hear how you like it!! Thanks.

Marina, Roy just came home with the raw cashews and I'm ready to go. What proportions did you use for the salted soaking water? If you don't come back on, I guess I'll do similar to the ratio for a brine, maybe a little saltier......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cashew Cheese by cjs (Marina, that is just...)
That does sound interesting. Someone I know, here, makes walnut milk and almond milk that are delicious and I've thought about making some for myself, but I had two motives. First, it had to have good flavour, and it did; second, it had to be inexpensive enough that I could continue using it in place of regular milk. On the latter, it failed miserably, so I just ditched the whole idea (I'm looking for ideas to have something healthy AND economical, NOT something that is going to accelerate my financial demise).

This cheese, however, sounds as though it would be worth doing (albeit infrequently), especially since I like cashews more than walnuts or almonds, anyway.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cashew Cheese by labradors (That does sound inte...)
This sounds fascinating! I can't wait to hear the results!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cashew Cheese by Gourmet_Mom (This sounds fascinat...)
Oh somebody do this! This is wonderful news! Jean's on it..I knew my gal wouldn't let me down. Wait why the heck am I not doing this...Ok found my new weekend project

I wonder how salty the salted soaking water should be? Jean your thoughts?
  Re: Re: Cashew Cheese by DFen911 (Oh somebody do this!...)
You know me too well, Denise - no way could I pass up something like this - cashews are soaking.

[Image: CashewCheese1Mar.jpg]

I went with 3 cups water/3 heaping T. kosher salt for my brine. I'll be working with it later this a.m. Anxious to hear how Marina is doing with hers.

After I thought how good this would be for you, Denise, I got to thinking Derek is allergic to nuts, isn't he???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cashew Cheese by cjs (You know me too well...)
HI,

Well...this project was a bit of a failure for me. First the stuff was draining for 4 hours...hardly anything came out, I skipped refrigerator step (just did not read it carefully enough) Baked for almost 4 hours to dry it out a bit and what came out by no means I can describe as edible. I really hope somebody else makes it and tells me that this was really good and I will try it again.
  Re: Re: Cashew Cheese by piano226 (HI,[br][br]Well...th...)
Well, I will persevere with it and report back.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cashew Cheese by cjs (Well, I will perseve...)
Here's step 2 in the process - I processed the nuts 1/2 at a time with the 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 cup salt water, and ~3/4 T. olive oil (total), put in cheesecloth and it is now hanging. So far nothing has drained/seeped out, but she mentioned that that was o.k. too.

[Image: CashewCheeseStep2.jpg]

I've been tasting it as I go along and I'm surprised at how it does taste like a nutty cheese...the brine did this???

to be continued.....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cashew Cheese by cjs (Here's step 2 in the...)
Oh I am so excited to try this!

Jean Derek is only allergic to peanuts.