Aerating wine?? Does anyone do this??
  Re: (...)
If you do, can you tell me about it? Benefits? How do you do it? Best way to do it? Best wines to do it for?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Aerating wine?? Does anyone do this?? by luvnit (If you do, can you t...)
We used to do this - but left our decanter in ND. It's basically a matter of introducing air into the wine -letting it breathe. You can do it by pouring the wine early, decanting it into a decanter, or pouring it through a spout that aerates the wine.

Some wines don't need it. Jean will have more info.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Aerating wine?? Does anyone do this?? by Harborwitch (We used to do this -...)
one word........reds

but, I don't know anyone (personally) that actually decants wine anymore. Maybe we have just become lazy.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Aerating wine?? Does anyone do this?? by chef_Tab (one word........reds...)
I do! I don't have a fancy aerator though. If I have the time I pop the cork 1 hour prior to serving. If I don't have that much I time I decant to a decanter 30 minutes prior to serving.

So I didn't believe this at first but the flavor changes a lot. Do this get a decent bottle of wine you like, red only. Pop the cork and instantly pour a 1 ounce serving and taste it. Makes notes about the flavor, acidity etc. Wait 15 minutes, do it again, wait another 15 min do it again, till you get to the 1 hour mark. You will find it tastes so much smoother if it's allowed to breathe.
  Re: Re: Aerating wine?? Does anyone do this?? by DFen911 (I do! I don't have a...)
Smarty pants!!! You are right.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Aerating wine?? Does anyone do this?? by DFen911 (I do! I don't have a...)
It's funny, but that's what I planned to do. I decant my wine from time to time, but I never stopped to think how it changed the flavor.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Aerating wine?? Does anyone do this?? by luvnit (If you do, can you t...)
Quote:

If you do, can you tell me about it? Benefits? How do you do it? Best way to do it? Best wines to do it for?

It's better to let a wine open up on its own, IMO. I decant only if it is a young tannic wine or an old wine that has thrown a lot of sediment. You miss layers of flavor if you decant--a wine will develop over a period of a few hours sometime--each glass will taste a little different and this makes it more fun!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Aerating wine?? Does anyone do this?? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Laura, what Denise said is fun to do - taste every 15 minutes or so. Another idea to keep in the back of your mind is when you try a new bottle of wine, buy two - that way if you really like it, you don't have to worry about finding and/or getting it again. I always order two now when I order or buy in person. And, if it turns out you don't particularly like it make Beef Bourguignonne or make my reduction and use it as a sweetend sauce or glaze.

I don't decant so often anymore, but I do like to open a good red an hour or two before serving - as everyone says, it certainly helps develop the flavors.

I have two bottles on order (take note, Bill ) from wine express that eveyone who rated it said to open almost a day ahead of drinking...don't know that we'll go that far, but I'll open it a number of hours ahead.

Vina Zaco 2006 Rioja, Bodegas Bilbainas

wish it would hurry up and get here!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com