Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken
  Re: (...)
Erin posted this recipe a couple of days ago, and I think that it is so good, it deserves its very own thread!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken

Recipe By :Rachel Ray
Serving Size : 4
Categories : Chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast -- cut into bite-sized pieces
salt and pepper
1 red bell pepper -- cut in 1/2" pieces
1 onion -- chopped
3 garlic cloves -- minced
1 inch ginger root -- peeled and minced
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1 tablespoon hot sauce
2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup honey roasted cashew nuts
4 scallions -- thinly sliced

Heat large skillet or Wok with about 2 tbsp of the oil over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the meat, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.

Remove meat for the pan and reserve on a plate. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, then add the bell pepper, onion, garlic and ginger to the skillet and stir-fry for 3 minutes or until crisp tender.

In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin sauce, orange marmalade, hot sauce, tamari and stock. Return chicken to the skillet and pour in the sauce.

Add in the cashews, toss to coat and continue cooking until the sauce thickens up, about 1 minute more.

Serve with rice and garnish with scallions.

Description:
"From Rachel Ray Look + Cook Book Page 102"
Cuisine:
"Asian"
Source:
"Look + Cook page 102"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Made this 2/20/2011 Did not add hot sauce because of kids. Forgot to add the chicken stock. Was still good but a little shy on sauce. Maybe add only 1/4 cup stock
Kids really enjoyed it. Served for me over roasted Cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts.

DH requests that I repeat this recipe weekly.
It was very, very good

My notes: Because of the tamari and hoisin the sodium content is a bit high so, figuring that the marmalade and other flavors would be enough, I subbed plain ol' water for the chicken broth. Just before I turned off the heat, I added 2 tablespoons of water mixed with 2 teaspoons cornstarch and that thickened the sauce nicely.

This needs more veggies, but I'm a little low on the fresh ones just now. I did use a mix of red and yellow bell pepper, and only after we sat down to eat did I realize that I could have used some canned sliced water chestnuts. The next time I will also add either broccoli or snow peas.

Oh, and I used regular ol' roasted cashews. And forgot to add them until I was sprinkling on the scallions.

[Image: ChineseOrangeBarbecueCashewChicken.jpg]

Thanks for sharing, Erin!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken by foodfiend (Erin posted this rec...)
Too funny, Vicci! I just posted my review of this on the dinner thread. I'll move it here.

Erin! That Chinese Orange-Barbecue Chicken recipe was AWESOME! I'm not sure why it has BBQ in the title, though...unless it has to do with the texture if you DON'T use the chicken stock. Even though I had to sub some apricot preserves for some of the orange (dang those gremilins!), it was still VERY good! William has requested it again soon. I can't wait to try it without the stock.

Also, I didn't have Tamari, so I subbed Soy Sauce. I served it with rice and bok choy. William had it without the rice and LOVED it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken by Gourmet_Mom (Too funny, Vicci! I...)
Theresa, the first two times I tried to post this, Firefox shut down. Then I had difficulty with posting the photo. Oy. I should have posted off the Dinner thread!

And we, too, were wondering about the "Barbeque' in the title...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken by foodfiend (Theresa, the first t...)
It sounds so good - now I have to choose; Buffalo Chicken Chili or this. Hmmmmm. I have everything for the chili so that wins for this week - it's a crockpot recipe and I'll let you know how it works.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken by Harborwitch (It sounds so good - ...)
"Buffalo Chicken Chili...it's a crockpot recipe and I'll let you know how it works." Uh, I hope so! This sounds like something we would like....the crockpot adds another PLUS to this one, right off the bat.

Waiting to hear.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken by Gourmet_Mom ("Buffalo Chicken Chi...)
Trying it tomorrow. We'll see.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken by Harborwitch (Trying it tomorrow. ...)
We are also having this tomorrow but I will be subbing peach preserves as I just don't have room in my fridge for one more variety of jellies, jams or preserves! Will also have to sub soy sauce for the tamari.

Steamed edamame on the side will be the added veggie.
  Re: Re: Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken by Trixxee (We are also having t...)
I think the BBQ is because Hoisin is sometimes referred to as a Chinese BBQ sauce.

V - You can see in my notes I completely forgot the chicken stock. We didn't miss it.

Glad you all liked it. It is always nice when you share a recipe and it goes over well, instead of a big bomb!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken by esgunn (I think the BBQ is b...)
We love stir fry and will give this a go.
  Re: Re: Chinese Orange-Barbecue Cashew Chicken by HomeCulinarian (We love stir fry and...)
I have to cook chicken two other ways today, darn, or I could use it for this one. Oh well, in a couple of days, I'll do this. Love it when so many try something and it's such a big hit. Adding all the notes to Erin's.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com