ROAD TRIP!!!
  Re: (...)
Yesterday Francois & Judy got in her car, we got the dogs loaded in the van and we all hit the road for Tomales Bay. Tomales' main claim to fame is the oyster farms. Martha Stewart did a big segment on Hog Island Oysters for her show, and I "borrowed" their recipe for Hog Wash and used it for years at our oyster 'ques with my modifications.

The signage directing drivers to the coast was gone - we think someone is trying to keep it secret! Of course, dingbats that we are - we went on a 3 day weekend so it was almost impossible to find parking, but we managed and got lots and lots of oysters to bring home.

We stopped in Point Reyes Station for lunch at The Pine Cone Diner. If you look at the link - we sat at that yellow table in the corner.

What a cool place to eat, lots of locals hanging out and lots of tourists. Oh - the food. It was beautiful, Bob and I had the clam chowder with the small green salad. OMG - they were beautiful mixed baby greens with a delicate dressing, and a little swirl of pickled red onion slices. The chowder was wonderful and full of clams, although Bob said mine was better (the bacon in their's was a bit tasteless). The bread served with it was made in house.

Francois wanted breakfast and got the last serving of corned beef hash and eggs. Beautiful homemade hash! Judy had the patty melt and potato salad - a house made salad that she was was the "piece de resistance".

They make virtually everything "in house". Food and Wine featured them in the May 2005 issue and they are Zagat rated. What a fun cap to the day! Next time I am going to to try the salmon burger!

I'll try to get a picture up later.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: ROAD TRIP!!! by Harborwitch (Yesterday Francois &...)
Oh, I so miss that area!! For years whenever we loaded the trailer up, the truck would automatically head to Bodega Bay. Gotta go again one day when we are in the area.

What a fun day, it must have been!! You mentioning pickled onions reminded me (I forget everything!!) that I've been wanting to make some. (note made)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! by cjs (Oh, I so miss that a...)
I love to "pickle" them in orange and lime juices. Bob and I would have liked to linger longer - but Francois had to work today so we had to get home and fix dinner. Another day!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! by Harborwitch (I love to "pickle" t...)
What a fun afternoon, I just love finding places that I've seen featured and then get to enjoy the food myself.

I'm glad the weather was good for you guys to go.
  Re: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! by DFen911 (What a fun afternoon...)
It sounds like you guys had a GREAT day! What fun!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.