OT----out of commission lately
  Re: (...)
Sorry I've been absent a lot lately, but I've been busy doing homework and haven't had much free time. I'm just finishing 3 fast-track classes this coming week, then only have 1 class to take for March, followed by a state exam April 7.

In the meantime, my computer has completely and totally died. Fortunately, all of my photos and Mastercook are on an external hard drive!

In the meantime, I am using Ron's computer, but would like to replace mine and am considering a laptop. Since I don't want to spend a small fortune on one, can anyone recommend one that they think is good without breaking the bank?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: OT----out of commission lately by Mare749 (Sorry I've been abse...)
Maryann, this is the computer I got from Best Buy. I also got 18 months financing on it. I love it. It has been really great. I love the webcam built in for Skyping (which is free and fun). I can even watch my netflix on demand movies on it.

[url=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor+/+15.6"+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Helios+Gray/1830082.p?id=1218296144574&skuId=1830082]Toshiba Laptop[/url]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OT----out of commission lately by luvnit (Maryann, this is the...)
Thanks Laura, how long have you had it? Have you had any problems at all with it?
Maryann

Re: Re: OT----out of commission lately by Mare749 (Thanks Laura, how lo...)
Well I got it 9-10 months ago and everything has worked great and we ALL use it daily. It does take quite a beating in my kitchen. I even took it to work with me many times. It does travel well. The only thing that is 'wrong' is that right now I have two USB ports on the right side that have gotten pushed in and need to be repaired. It is still under warranty, so I better call them and get that fixed. I know it was because my hubby and kids are not as careful about plugging and unplugging things like cameras and other USB devices. Thank goodness it has a third USB on the left sideSmile We really do love it and the battery lasts a very long time. I can work off of it for 8 hours or so before needing to plug it in. This has a 12 cell.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OT----out of commission lately by luvnit (Well I got it 9-10 m...)
Maryann, William has almost the same exact computer, just an older model. I think he's had it about 10 years. It's still going strong. He had given it to his secretary/right hand girl for a while. It got a virus, so she gave it back. Oldest son was able to fix it, and William uses it daily.

The cons for his, which very likely have been modified in the newer model:

It gets VERY hot.

The battery is so worn out, he can only use it plugged in.

It's heavy.

Pros:
DURABILITY
Large keyboard with keypad (This was important because they use numbers with their mapping software.)

If I had to buy a new one, that's the one I'd get based on our satisfaction with a Toshiba product.

The only other thing I will say is that we got Ashley and Will a Sony Vio when they graduated. Will has had his for 7-8 years now. Ashley would still have hers (5 years) if it hadn't gotten stolen. She replaced it with the same computer based on her positive experience with the machine. Regarding Will's machine, I will tell you that that thing has taken a beating and has gotten a LOT of use.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT----out of commission lately by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, William has...)
I had a Toshiba for well over 10 years and loved it. I now have an HP and like it as well. Hubby has a Dell and we both hate it. I have had many computer experts tell me "never buy a Dell laptop".

I have missed you Maryann!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: OT----out of commission lately by chef_Tab (I had a Toshiba for ...)
If I had to buy a laptop, it would be a Toshiba. In my experience of helping others with their computers, the problems I have seen with Toshibas have been pretty minor, but the problems with Dell are horrendous. Indeed, I wouldn't buy a Dell ANYTHING, let alone a laptop. Some friends in the States had even had the three-year, extended warranty for their Dell laptop and, over that three-year period (not all at once), they had to have the screen, keyboard, touchpad, power supply and hard drive replaced. Each time they had a problem, they had to fight with Dell to have the problem fixed, since Dell's immediate response was "It must be something you installed or you have a virus." The hard drive failed again, just AFTER the end of the extended warranty but, fortunately, by that time, they had already bought a new machine and had JUST gotten everything transferred from the old computer to the new one. In addition to that, those are NOT the only people I know who have had that type of experience with Dell.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT----out of commission lately by labradors (If I had to buy a la...)
Thanks everybody, for all your input. Ron took my computer apart and has decided that it needs a new hard drive, so before we go buy a new computer, he's going to try that and hopes that it will solve the problem. I really got my head into the idea of getting a laptop though, so I'm still pushing for that. Laura, the one you recommended is the one that I decided on.
Maryann

Re: Re: OT----out of commission lately by Mare749 (Thanks everybody, fo...)
Go Ron!

Oh Maryann, congrats on finishing the first three! I know you'll race through the last one AND the exam!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: OT----out of commission lately by Mare749 (Sorry I've been abse...)
Can't help you with the computer, Maryann, my 3 techies (yes, those little guys in superhero costumes) handle all that for me, but I want to congratulate you on your success! You must be so excited, I'm sure the next class will be a cinch for you and you'll pass your exam with stellar results!
PJ