Valentine Wine Maker's Dinner
  Re: (...)
Every year, the Winery has this dinner, cooked by a chef from Charlottesville. We could never afford to go, but have been invited by the winery as their guest, and will sit at the Winemaker's table. I'm really looking forward to it, as the menu looks great, and we've only been out for a really good me once in 2 years. Jean, I thought of you immediately when I saw the soup, Black Bean and Brandy! Here's the menu:

http://www.princemichel.com/index.cfm?me...4a-65f909391655
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Valentine Wine Maker's Dinner by Lorraine (Every year, the Wine...)
Oh My! What incredible food. That will be so much fun!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Valentine Wine Maker's Dinner by esgunn (Oh My! What incredi...)
Thanks, Erin. My camera will be with me. Now I have to find my "going out to party clothes". I know they are here somewhere.
  Re: Re: Valentine Wine Maker's Dinner by Lorraine (Thanks, Erin. My ca...)
WOW! What an incredible menu! I am VERY jealous! I can't wait to see the pictures! I expect full disclosure on the flavors as well!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Valentine Wine Maker's Dinner by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! What an incred...)
Lorraine that looks amazing! Have fun and we'll be waiting to see the pictures and hear the details!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Valentine Wine Maker's Dinner by Harborwitch (Lorraine that looks ...)
CRAB “POPS”
jumbo lump meat rolled in Japanese breadcrumbs and flashfried;
served with Five Herb Rémoulade Sauce
---
I am so going to steal this idea - it's a "Well, duh" moment that's for sure!!!

BLACK BEAN AND BRANDY SOUP
served in demitasse cups, with Crema Mexicana and red tortilla threads
----
Remember when someone called the picture of my B.B. soups in a demitasse (or something) with a prawn, 'looks like p00p' in a cup????? Heathens.

GRILLED DUCK AND CHERRY SKEWERS
lacquered with tamarind and served on a bed of quinoa
----
I love that quinoa (and all grains) are being used so much more now!

Prince Michel Dry Rosé

WATERCRESS AND APPLE SALAD
with candied pecans, sharp white Cheddar, and golden raisins;
topped with Creamy Basil and Shallot Dressing
-----
May steal this combo also!!

Such a great sounding menu, Lorraine!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Valentine Wine Maker's Dinner by cjs (CRAB “POPS”[br]jumbo...)
Wow. Just... wow.

Have a great time (and good luck finding something to wear, that is always the worst part of going out "fancy", to me!)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Valentine Wine Maker's Dinner by Lorraine (Every year, the Wine...)
Have a wonderful time, Lorraine, it all sounds so good! Definately take pictures of all the food for us.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Valentine Wine Maker's Dinner by pjcooks (Have a wonderful tim...)
Well, it was a fun evening.

Why we've never thought of doing 'Crab Pops" is beyond me. He stuck a lollipop stick in them, and served them in a round kind of snake dish that I use for olives. They were really good, the remoulade was a bit too mild for me.

The black bean soup actually looked really good with the crema drizzled on top, and the red tortilla shreds. Folks seemed to really like it ( Jean, I remember that coment jhen you served it!), but we found it a bit bland.

The duck was overcooked, I think the Winemaker spoke too long, and it sat around in the kitchen. We both love cumin, but the quinoa had so much in it, that neither one of us could eat it.

The salad was absolutely incredible, probably my favourite dish of the evening. The candied pecans were soggy, and it didn't need the raisins at all, but the rest was just great, very fresh tasting.

The lamb was done perfectly, the pesto was great, but the grilled asparagus was way overdone, and cold. The polenta was strange, it reminder me more of grits than polenta.

Dessert was good, but we found the chocolate raspberry sauce bitter, Gil does almost the same dessert, and I like his betteer.

I know I sound critical. Sometimes I wish we weren't in the business, so that we could just go out and enjoy a meal rather than dissecting every dish to death. If I had paid full price for the meal, I think I would have been disappointed. Some of the wines served were very reasonably priced ones that I use in my jams and jellies. The one outstanding wine was the Cab Franc that they only have a few cases left of. It's been a long time since I've tried a red wine that good, even Gil the non drinker drank it!
Gil posted pictures on his Facebook, they should be viewable to anyone on facebook. I think we need to get out more often, it was fun getting dollied up and going out, and we got some good ideas.
  Re: Re: Valentine Wine Maker's Dinner by Lorraine (Well, it was a fun e...)
"Sometimes I wish we weren't in the business, so that we could just go out and enjoy a meal rather than dissecting every dish to death."

I knnow, I feel the same way, Lorraine. But some of the problems, there is no excuse for!

"but we found it a bit bland." - no reason for blandness, there is a happy medium between bland and too much flavor for most folks.

"The duck was overcooked," it always bugged me when the main speaker did not talk to the kitchen. no excuse here either.

O.K., your're right - hard not to be critical.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com