Daphne's Birthday Dinner Review- February 28th
  Re: (...)
Here you go...some appies to try out and a divine looking dessert! I think I may break down and make the dessert this time! These are all from the February 2011 Issue 85.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Oysters Rockefeller with Tabasco Beurre Blanc

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons garlic -- minced
1/4 cup panko
1/4 cup scallions -- finely chopped (green parts only)
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese -- grated
2 cups spinach -- chopped
1/4 cup parsley -- chopped
1 tablespoon celery -- minced
3 tablespoons white wine -- or Pernod
salt and pepper
3 pounds kosher salt -- or rock salt
2 dozen fresh oysters -- shucked on the half shell
3 strips bacon -- cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon shallots -- chopped
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
4 tablespoons cold butter -- cubed

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

For the oysters, melt 4 T butter in a small sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.

Pour half the garlic butter into a bowl and toss with panko, scallions, and Parmesan; set aside.

Return pan to medium heat and cook spinach, parsley, and celery in remaining garlic butter. Deglaze pan with Pernod, cooking until all liquid is evaporated, 5 minutes. Season mixture with salt and pepper; remove from heat.

Spread kosher salt or rock salt evenly onto baking sheet. Nestle oysters into salt and spoon 1/2 t spinach mixture over each oyster, then top with bread crumb mixture and crumbled bacon. Roast oysters until beginning to curl and bread crumbs are golden, 10-15 minutes.

For the beurre blanc, reduce wine, lemon juice, shallots, and Tabasco over high heat until liquid is reduced by half, 5 minutes.

Off heat, whisk in butter 1 T at a time, melting each fully and combining into the sauce before adding the next. Once all butter is incorporated, season sauce with salt and pepper. Spoon warm beurre blanc over oysters and serve immediately

Description:
"Pernod can be a bit pricey, so feel free to substitute with white wine if desired."

Pizza Nachos with pesto & pepperoni

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 gallon peanut oil -- or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter -- unsalted
1 tablespoon garlic -- minced
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup pesto sauce
salt and pepper -- to taste
5 ounces pepperoni slices
8 ounces mushrooms -- sliced
1 pound pizza dough
1 cup bell pepper -- diced
1/2 cup onion -- slivered
1 cup provolone cheese -- shredded
1 cup fontina cheese -- shredded
2 cups pizza sauce -- warmed

Heat oil in a 7- to 8-quart pot over high until it registers 375 degrees on a candy/deep-fry thermometer.

For the creamy pesto, heat olive oil and butter in a saucepan over medium. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute more.

Whisk in milk and simmer until sauce thickens, 3 minutes. Whisk in pesto; season with salt and pepper.

For the nachos, cook pepperoni in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, 5-7 minutes. Transfer pepperoni to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Cook mushrooms in drippings until they release their moisture and brown, 8-10 minutes. Preheat broiler with rack 6-8 inches from the element.

Roll pizza dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thick. Cut dough into 2-inch squares (using a pizza cutter).

Fry dough squares in 6 batches until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per batch. Transfer chips to a bowl using a slotted spoon, toss with salt to season, then transfer to a clean baking sheet while frying remaining dough.

Top chips with creamy pesto, pepperoni, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, and cheeses.

Broil nachos until cheese melts and is bubbly, about 2 minutes; serve immediately with pizza sauce.

Description:
"If using frozen pizza dough, quickly thaw it by coating the dough with olive oil and placing it in a resealable plastic bag. Submerge bag in a bowl of hot water, until dough is pliable."

Tiramisu Trifles with Coffee-Carmel Ganache and Pine Nuts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces marscapone cheese -- or cream cheese
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons marsala wine
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
2 cups ladyfinger cookies -- finely diced
1/4 cup pine nuts -- toasted

For the ganache, heat 1/2 cup sugar, water, corn syrup, and salt in a saucepan over medium until sugar dissolves. Wash down sides of pan, using a pastry brush dipped in water, to remove sugar. Increase heat to medium-high and boil mixture until a deep amber caramel, 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, place milk chocolate and semisweet chips with 1/2 t espresso powder in a bowl.

Whisk 3/4 cup cream and butter into caramel (It will bubble furiously) until butter is melted and mixture returns to a boil.

Pour caramel over chocolate in bowl; let sit for 1 minute. Add vanilla; whisk until smooth. Cool ganache to room temperature, whisking occasionally.

For the cheese layer, whisk marscapone, 2 T sugar, Marsala, and 1 t espresso powder in a bowl until smooth. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a medium tip.

To assemble, layer each trifle with 2 t ganache, about 1 T cheese layer, 1 T ladyfingers, and 1/2 t pine nuts. Repeat layering, then top with additional 2 t ganache and 1 t cheese layer. Serve trifles immediately.

Description:
"The ganache takes a while to cool so make it a day in advance or early the day you plan to serve the trifles."
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Daphne's Birthday Dinner Review- February 28th by Gourmet_Mom (Here you go...some a...)
Oh Daphne, I won't be able to participate (we don't like oysters, and with all of the goodies I am making for Valentine's Day/ Mom's birthday I don't want to be anywhere near nachos or desserts for quite some time).

It sounds very festive, though, and if you don't mind I will toast you with a specially prepared rum drink on your special day.

Oh, pooh. I was sure that I had written something similar about Labs' birthday review menu but, having second thoughts, I looked at the original thread and I hadn't. Except that my excuse then was that the skillet dinner seemed a bit too heavy on the calories as I was trying hard to lose my Christmas-cookie weight. But that I would toast you, Rob, on your birthday. Which I did with a "crantini", as I recall.
  Re: Re: Daphne's Birthday Dinner Review- February 28th by foodfiend (Oh Daphne, I won't b...)
No problem, Vicci. It IS an unusual choice for a review, but these are the last things from this issue I wanted to make. I'm not going to make them all at one meal. I'm going to split them up over the two weeks. I'm planning the dessert for our Valentine's dinner, I'll have the oysters with another steak dinner (probably my actual birthday), and the Nachos will make a great Saturday night dinner next weekend.

I'd love to have the oysters as an appy before an oyster roast, but the chances of oyster beds opening up in the next two weeks are slim. We've had a LOT of rain lately. Sadly, my rockefeller will probably be prepackaged oysters.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Daphne's Birthday Dinner Review- February 28th by Gourmet_Mom (No problem, Vicci. ...)
Out of this one,too: don't like any bivalve molluscs and the rest of the recipes have too many ingredients I can't get or can't afford and would just be too many substitutions.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Daphne's Birthday Dinner Review- February 28th by labradors (Out of this one,too:...)
I'm in!!! And, don't know why, but it seems like I always break up the chosen dishes and make them separately. And, this one just calls for doing separately.

(I'm making this a sticky until your review date, Daphne)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Daphne's Birthday Dinner Review- February 28th by cjs (I'm in!!! And, don't...)
Thanks, Jean. I was worried I'd be the only one reviewing...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Daphne's Birthday Dinner Review- February 28th by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean. I was...)
don't worry Daphne, when folks think about how good these can be, they'll get on board!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Daphne's Birthday Dinner Review- February 28th by cjs (don't worry Daphne, ...)
Oh, I do want to play. We'll just have to see how much. The pizza nachos should be easy to put on the menu. The guys will love them. Now, about the oysters.. I have been craving oysters lately so this could be the perfect excuse to splurge. We have a good seafood market in town. I'll just have to check prices. As for the dessert..I just don't do much dessert so I'll have to pass on that. I focus most of my calories on savory food and wine.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Daphne's Birthday Dinner Review- February 28th by cheesemonger (Oh, I do [i]want[/i]...)
Allison, that is so funny! Your logic sounds so much like mine...LOL!!! Good luck with the oysters! And if it wasn't my birthday, I wouldn't make the dessert either....that and the pine nuts! I LOVE pine nuts...enough that I am willing to try caramel....scary stuff for me.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Daphne's Birthday Dinner Review- February 28th by Gourmet_Mom (Allison, that is so ...)
Jean or Allison, are you going to fry your nachos or bake them? The more I think about it, the more I think baking them would be easier and less messy....not to mention healthier, considering the calories in everything else...LOL!

I miss my brain. My printer is messed up so I was hand writing these recipes when I questioned something and went to get the magazine to double check it.

DUH! This is not the FIRST time this has happened either!
Daphne