Hard Boiled Eggs Q
  Re: (...)
Apparantly, just simmering eggs for 40 minutes doesn't really set the yolk, or so my hubby tells me.

I time the eggs at 20 minutes at a time, do I really need to bring the water to a slight boil to cook the yolks?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Hard Boiled Eggs Q by BarbaraS (Apparantly, just sim...)
First of all, my soapbox is to get folks to refer to them as hard-cooked rather than hard-boiled. Too many boil the h*ll out of them.

A perfect method for hard-cooking eggs is to start them in a pot, cover with cold water. Put on medium-high heat without a lid and bring to a boil. Watch as it's almost to the boil, and as soon as it does, cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and turn the burner off. You can also removed the pot from the heated burner if you wish. Time the eggs for 18 minutes.

Drain and cool in cold water. You will never get the dreaded green ring around the yolk using this method and the yolks are perfectly done. We used to get marked down in school if we dared show our chef an egg with the 'green ring'!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hard Boiled Eggs Q by cjs (First of all, my soa...)
I make hard cooked eggs same as Jean, except I don't always remember to time them after I take them off the heat.

Also, if I'm using them right away, I will crack the shells by tapping with the back of a spoon and put them in the cold water. This makes removing the shells easier.
  Re: Re: Hard Boiled Eggs Q by HomeCulinarian (I make hard cooked e...)
Okay, I'll have to adjust. I guess he likes "hard" egg yolks. I thought I was doing it right. Guess not...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Hard Boiled Eggs Q by HomeCulinarian (I make hard cooked e...)
I bring mine to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 12 minutes. I've tried it Jean's way, and they always seem to be undercooked. Although, I think I've tried 15 minutes. Maybe I'll give the turn off method a try again at 18 minutes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hard Boiled Eggs Q by Gourmet_Mom (I bring mine to a bo...)
I do the same way. Off heat 18 to 20 minutes. We have the worst time trying to get the shells off nicely. Did try Billies method once that he posted about rolling the eggs in oil before cooking. Worked. I just don't usually remember to do it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Hard Boiled Eggs Q by esgunn (I do the same way. ...)
They just have to be older eggs to always be success in peeling. Fresh, fresh just won't work.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hard Boiled Eggs Q by cjs (They just have to be...)
Rolling the eggs in oil didn't help me at all with easy shell removal. I have read that storing the carton on its side will center the yolk and have not tried that yet. But Jean's method of cooking always works for me. Perfectly cooked eggs every time!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Hard Boiled Eggs Q by chef_Tab (Rolling the eggs in ...)
I agree with the older eggs. When I know I'm going to be making deviled eggs, I buy my eggs the week before. They peel easily. There have been a few times I needed a couple extra eggs for dressing or something and just threw the fresh eggs in the pot. I always know which is which!

BTW, I wonder if setting them out to come to room temp would make a difference. I know I have to do that to make good meringue. I realize it's not the same premise, but I still wonder if it would make a difference with hard cooked eggs?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hard Boiled Eggs Q by Gourmet_Mom (I agree with the old...)
Jean's way is also perfect for me for jumbo eggs. Large would be in the 15 minute range.

Just maybe two years ago I finally read this perfect way. For years I struggled to get a nice egg!