Camping Breakfast
  Re: (...)
Quote:

By the way, do you know what your daughter is up to back home?????????????????? She and Derek are tying to go camping!! In Texas!! In this weather!!! (I almost told her she could not go!)

Well, Jean et al, we had a great time camping! There were definitely cold times at night, warm times hiking during the sunny daytime hours and some great camping food. I only got a few pictures of food because I forgot my camera and relied on my iPhone. Which meant I had no flash and only got daytime pics. We are definitely happy to be back home with centralized heat!

We had bacon jalapeno muenster burgers one night and hamburger soup another. I've discovered over the years that many families make versions of "hamburger stew/soup." D's came from his mom and includes carrots, potatoes, onions, jalapenos, garlic and, of course, ground beef. We added beer and water for broth. Another highlight was our breakfast tacos. We used our leftovers from dinner in town..my leftover prime rib and bits and fat from his leftover lamb shanks, swiss chard and potatoes.

Our first breakfast though was blackberry pancakes with bacon.
[Image: 5427372460_283337c788.jpg]

[Image: 5426766435_0ef8560cc1.jpg]

Yum! Now to catch up on all the posting I have missed...
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Camping Breakfast by cheesemonger ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Glad to hear you didn't freeze your little 'butz' off!! I think you're right, all camping families have a version of Hamburger Soup. Your l/o breakfast tacos sounded good, also. I do that in the trailer and sometimes make patties.

So, good time was had by all, huh?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Camping Breakfast by cjs (Glad to hear you did...)
Fantastic looking pancakes! Sounds like it was an adventure! Don't think I would have followed through. Good for you!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Camping Breakfast by esgunn (Fantastic looking pa...)
Very nice!
  Re: Re: Camping Breakfast by Trixxee (Very nice!...)
Wow! Great looking pancakes! It all sounds good. We have our own version of hamburger soup that uses a tomato juice base. William makes it regularly at the camp!

I'm glad you two didn't freeze and had a good time!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Camping Breakfast by Gourmet_Mom (Wow! Great looking ...)
You know, I have a close friend who has tried for years to talk me into camping but no dice, no way, I really like solid walls and indoor plumbing. It looks like great fun, Allison, for you and D.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Camping Breakfast by cheesemonger ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Man o man those look good, er great, errr really, really great! I can smell the campfire...
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Camping Breakfast by luvnit (Man o man those look...)
Oh I don't know what it is, but everything just tastes better when cooked outside and then eaten outside too So glad you had a wonderful time!!
  Re: Re: Camping Breakfast by DFen911 (Oh I don't know what...)
"Oh I don't know what it is, but everything just tastes better when cooked outside" - That's for sure, Denise!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Camping Breakfast by cjs ("Oh I don't know wha...)
Thanks everyone! Vicci, I didn't grow up camping. I believe my mom's words last night were, "You went what?!" But I've found I like most everything about it..cooking on an open fire, animals all around (even that silly raccoon that stole our marshmallows, and all the stars! But not the cold! I'm a Texas girl, d$mmit!

eta: Yay! I'm not a newbie anymore!
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child