KitchenAid Meat Grinder
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have this attachment? I found it at Bed, Bath and Beyond but I only see one disc. Does it have different discs to grind finer or heavier? And did they come with it or separate?

And lastly - do you like it? I am tired of buying ground meat and not knowing if whoever ground it cleaned their grinder properly so decided I'm grinding my own from now on.
  Re: KitchenAid Meat Grinder by DFen911 (Does anyone have thi...)
First, I have the grinder and mine came with two or three plates...three, I think. I haven't used it but once....it's on my list. The one time I used it, I got frustrated with it stopping up and grinding my meat/fat into mush. I've since figured out...thanks to Jean and the Cauceturie (sp?) book that I was not using the right meat. I haven't had a chance to try it again. It's on the short list.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: KitchenAid Meat Grinder by Gourmet_Mom (First, I have the gr...)
Denise, I have the attachment also, and like Daphne, have only used it once. Don't know why I never got back to it, because as I recall, it worked really well and I had great plans to use it all the time. Glad you brought up the subject, I just went and got mine out.

The model I have only has two blades, fine and course. I'm pretty sure I used the course blade to grind meat, as the fine blade made it too mushy.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: KitchenAid Meat Grinder by Mare749 (Denise, I have the a...)
I gave him the grinder for Christmas. It came with two discs. We love it. When meat 9especially pork butts or shoulders) go on sale, we stock up the freezer. Since we often have Sausage Gravy on the brunch menu, it saves a lot of money. We can control the fat content and the seasonings.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: KitchenAid Meat Grinder by Lorraine (I gave him the grind...)
I have this also, Denise and have used it all the time in the past, but I'm hoping to replace it with a counter-top grinder similar to one my neighbor has, 'casue it's too high for me to use comfortably (meaning I have to stand on a stool ) But, it work fine. Mine has two blades.

Piddle, just remembered I have a gift certificate from Christmas to use up....this is what I'm ordering \

[Image: 210321e.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: KitchenAid Meat Grinder by cjs (I have this also, De...)
I have the Kitchenaid meat grinder attachment as well. It works okay for grinding small amounts of pork loin or beef, but does clog up pretty easily. I found it really frustrating when I tried to make chicken sausage. The meat got too hot and the sausage broke. Grrr. For Christmas my boys gave me this grinder. It works great! I'm having absolutely no trouble with clogging, and the grinding is much faster.
  Re: Re: KitchenAid Meat Grinder by karyn (I have the Kitchenai...)
Oh I like the idea of the counter top one. And Karyn yours also came with the attachments to stuff the sausage casings?

Btw where do you guys get your casings?
  Re: Re: KitchenAid Meat Grinder by DFen911 (Oh I like the idea o...)
I'll bet any deli would sell you some. We found that deli near you, Denise, in that little strip mall (crap, can't remember the name, but it may be in my notes - I'll look) that might have them. We have a local meat market that will sell them. Also, I think when we first moved here, one of the local grocery stores ordered them for me.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: KitchenAid Meat Grinder by DFen911 (Oh I like the idea o...)
Quote:

Oh I like the idea of the counter top one. And Karyn yours also came with the attachments to stuff the sausage casings?

Btw where do you guys get your casings?

It does come with the sausage stuffing attachments, but I've never used them. I have an old-fashioned hand-crank stuffer that works great and will hold about 5 pounds of sausage at a time.

I get the pre-tubed sausage casings from The Sausage Maker. Pre-tubed makes it sooo much easier!
  Re: Re: KitchenAid Meat Grinder by karyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh wow, Karyn, going to take some time to check out that website!! But, I've never heard the term "pre-tubed sausage casings" and I couldn't find them doing a search on that site. What are they?
www.achefsjourney.com