What's on the Menu, Momday, 2/7?
  Re: (...)
So, what is everyone having for dinner tonight?

I'm fixing a new recipe (or version) of Spaghetti with Chickpeas (Spaghetti con ceci). Have some bananas getting a little too ripe, so probably a banana bread also. My aunt will be happy...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's on the Menu, Momday, 2/7? by cjs (So, what is everyone...)
It's really getting to be crunch time for losing some weight before we go on vacation (8 weeks from tomorrow) so I have got to lighten things up. I'm leaning towards chicken piccata and a salad.

I need to eliminate my wine at least on weeknights but that is easier said than done for me!
  Re: Re: What's on the Menu, 2/7? by Trixxee (It's really getting ...)
I don't know. I have some lovely lamb shanks, perhaps a coffee ancho rub into the slow cooker with a red chili sauce. Cheese enchiladas or polenta with corn and cheese.

Otherwise some jammed up pork chops with chokecherry jam, or a slow cooker ribollita from the newest FoodNetwork magazine. It looks lighter and healthier than the other two - which might be nice after yesterday.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's on the Menu, 2/7? by Harborwitch (I don't know. I hav...)
Wow, a couple of really good new dishes!! First, from Whole Foods newsletter, Spaghetti with Chickpeas (Spaghetti con Ceci) I don't know if this is from Whole Foods or a blog smittenkitchen.com. But it sure is good.

Spaghetti with Chickpeas [Spaghetti con Ceci]

15 ounces canned chickpeas -- rinsed and drained or about 2 cups, freshly cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup chicken stock
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pancetta -- diced (a little shy of 2 ounces) (didn't have, so I used some of my Port But Bacon)
1 medium onion -- thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic -- thinly sliced
1 Pinch chile flakes
1 can tomatoes -- (14 ounce) chopped
10 basil leaves -- (10 to 15) (didn't have any, so used about 2 T. pesto (great)
Salt to taste
1 pound spaghetti I used just 1/2 lb. Orchietta)
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese to taste

Set 1/3 cup of chickpeas aside. In a blender or food processor, combine remaining chickpeas with chicken stock and pulse a few times until chickpeas are chopped.

Place a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil and diced pancetta. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until lightly browned; a splatter screen will make your stove look better than mine did after this. Add onions, garlic, and chile flakes. Continue cooking until onions and garlic are translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes.

Add chickpea mixture, tomatoes, and basil, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt. While sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti, and cook until al dente, or tastes like it could use an additional minute's cooking time. Reserve one cup of pasta water and drain the rest.

Toss pasta with chickpea sauce, reserved chickpeas and half of the reserved pasta water (using 1/2 lb. pasta made this step unnecessary - mine was a little watery, but I think it will be absorbed by the time we have l/os.) until evenly coated and heated through, about one minute. If sauce still feels too thick add reserved pasta water as needed. Season again, as needed, and serve with grated Parmesan to pass.
Description: "smittenkitchen.com"
----------

secondly, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cabbage and Pine Nuts - this came in the F&W newsletter this a.m. and Roy had just picked up brussels sprouts and cabbage yesterday, so went for it. Really tasty~!!

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/roast...-pine-nuts

I made the whole recipe and it makes A LOT!! Great flavors and I'll make again, but for sure I will cut it down. I think maybe half the recipe, but 1/3 of the cabbage so the brussels spouts shine a little more. Also, don't think so much olive oil is needed, will cut back on that also.

Two really nice new dishes to add to the repetoire...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's on the Menu, Monday 2/7? by cjs (Wow, a couple of rea...)
Wow, you've sure been busy today! I like the sounds of the brussel sprout dish....maybe I could fool my crowd into eating them if I hide them in cabbage...LOL!

MY JERSEY TOMATOES CAME IN!!!!! Spaghetti tonight!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's on the Menu, Monday 2/7? by Gourmet_Mom (Wow, you've sure bee...)
Wow Daphne!! You ordered those Jersey Fresh Crushed Tomatos?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's on the Menu, Monday 2/7? by BarbaraS (Wow Daphne!! You or...)
Yea! And they came REALLY fast! I just sampled the sauce, and it tastes like I used fresh tomatoes! YUMMMY!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's on the Menu, Monday 2/7? by Gourmet_Mom (Yea! And they came ...)
Quote:

Yea! And they came REALLY fast! I just sampled the sauce, and it tastes like I used fresh tomatoes! YUMMMY!

Yaaaaay!!

They are so amazing. Not like your store-bought crushed toms. More concentrated, less liquid.

I am so glad to have contributed something good to all you great peoples!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's on the Menu, Monday 2/7? by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Barabra, please post the link to the site where you can buy these. I know it is buried in one of the Christmas threads and I forgot to copy it when I saw it.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: What's on the Menu, Monday 2/7? by foodfiend (Barabra, please post...)
Vicci,

I just made it a new thread for easier searching:

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...ge=0#Post116752

Barbara