question- cheese substitution
  Re: (...)
I have a recipe for chicken breasts stuffed with artichokes, goat cheese, and lemon which I want to make for my Mom for her birthday. Unfortunately, I am the only one of us (her, Dad, and Jack) who likes goat cheese. The recipe calls for feta as a sub, but Dad doesn't like that.

I found some sharp provolone in the freezer- do you guys think that it will be a good sub? If not, what would you suggest? Thanks!

Oh, and I'd appreciate any advice on a carb side-- orzo or rice recipe, perhaps?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: question- cheese substitution by foodfiend (I have a recipe for ...)
I'm guessing here, but Brie, ricotta, Jean's Paneera? Checking Cook's Thesaurus...

It says to sub this: (I included the info for this since I know I wouldn't find this, but would be able to find some of the substitutions.)

Fromage blanc Pronunciation: froh-MAHZH BLAHN Notes: This usually has the consistency of thick yogurt. It's expensive and hard to find, but very tasty and relatively low in fat. It makes a great topping for desserts. Substitutes: quark (very similar) OR yogurt cheese OR buttermilk cheese OR blend equal parts cottage cheese and yogurt until smooth OR cream cheese whipped with cream
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: question- cheese substitution by foodfiend (I have a recipe for ...)
When people have asked me what goat cheese is like, I have told them it's like somewhat tangy cream cheese, so maybe you could use cream cheese with a little added lemon juice.

Otherwise, you could try ricotta or some kind of "farmer's cheese" or maybe even mascarpone. Feta is only a good replacement if the reason for the substitution is availability, Otherwise, it's still goat cheese (unless you're using one of the many mass-marketed "fetas" that only use cow's milk) and it's stronger and [especially] saltier than plain goat cheese.

If you were here, I'd say to use requesón, but I'm not sure you could get that where you are.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: question- cheese substitution by labradors (When people have ask...)
It makes me so sad that you must find a substitute for goat cheese. It is so wonderful. I guess I would use brie.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: question- cheese substitution by chef_Tab (It makes me so sad t...)
Lots of great subs mentioned and I'll bet any would be good, depending on the flavor the family 'does' like.

Side? creamy polenta? Mashed root veggies with a little bacon?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: question- cheese substitution by cjs (Lots of great subs m...)
Like Theresa mentioned, I would probably use a brie. For a side, what about a vegetable orzo or a mushroom risotto minus the parm? (only because I know you are health conscious and wouldn't put cheese in two dishes)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: question- cheese substitution by Mare749 (Like Theresa mention...)
What about Boursin or Alouette. I am not a fan of goat cheese either.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: question- cheese substitution by esgunn (What about Boursin ...)
Wow. Now I have to choose!

Rob, yes the feta which I buy is cows milk cheese but Dad just doesn't like the taste. What does requesón taste like? I think I've seen it the Latin store.

Re-reading, it's now a toss between brie (which I could also use in an app) or Boursin (which I haven't bought in a while and it's about time...).

Jean, I made a creamy polenta once for my family to go with a chicken w/ mushroom sauce and it was received with, uh, extreme curiosity. I forgot about that experience until you mentioned it.

I'm thinking that a veggie orzo (thanks Maryann) might be best for them.

Now, I have to add that my Mom loves it when I visit and cook new things but Dad, well, he is a bit "set in his ways" and has definite likes and dislikes. So I have to find recipes that are new but not too different. I only thank heaven that I'm cooking for only the four of us and none of my siblings or their families. THAT would be difficult! Well, not difficult as much as ordinary. Spaghetti, baked chicken, very basic stuff.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: question- cheese substitution by foodfiend (Wow. Now I have to ...)
Requesón is very similar to ricotta, but I like it better. When I make lasagne, here, I use requesón instead of ricotta.

Between Brie and Boursin, I would choose Boursin. Then, again, I would choose Camembert over Brie any day, anyhow.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: question- cheese substitution by labradors ([i]Requesón[/i] is v...)
I remember the days when I was such a brie fan, but nowadays that I have discovered all the wonderful cheese offered, it has to be a pretty darn good European Brie for me to really enjoy it. I'm with you, Labs, I'd choose Boursin also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com