Mushroom Wellington Review
  Re: (...)
I made these for dinner last night. I had to make a few adjustments, but the agreement was that these are incredible.

Roast:
2 large portobello mushrooms (at least 7" in dia.) stems and gills removed.
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
salt & black pepper.

For the Filling, saute

1/2 cup minced leeks
2 Tbs minced shallots
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
1 cup each stemmed and minced button & shitake mushrooms
1/4 c. toasted walnuts, chopped
2 Tbs minced fresh chives
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme

For the Welingtons
2 tsp Roquefort Cheese
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (8.65 oz)
1 egg beaten with 1 Tbs water.

Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Brush each portobello, gill side up with 1 tsp dijon and 1/2 tsp thyme and salt & pepper, roast until slightly browned, 20 minutes.

For the filling, saute leeks, shallots, and garlic in oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until softened, 4 -5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until liquid is evaporated and mixture is soft, about 7 minutes.

Stir in walnuts, chives, 1 tsp Dijon, and 1 tsp thyme, then season with salt & pepper.

Sprinkle 1 tsp Roquefort on each roasted portobello. Divide filling evenly between portobellos.

Cut 2 5" rounds from puff pastry. Roll each round on a lightly floured surface to 10" in diameter. Place a portobello in the center of each round, then fold pastry edges inward, leaving a small gap on top. Brush each Wellington with egg wash; transfer to [re[ared baking sheet.

Bake Wellingtons until pastry is golden and puffed, 20 - 22 minutes.

Bob couldn't get 7" Portobellows, ours were about 5", and we couldn't find the shitakes so I used a dried mushroom mix from Costco for half the mushrooms.

We couldn't get fresh chives or thyme so had to use dried thyme. I know that I have walnuts in the freezer but didn't want to take the flashlight and go search in the dark so I used pistachios. We also had to make do with bleu cheese.

I also learned that it is not wise to buy puff pastry from a store that doesn't sell a lot of it. I just barely got it unfolded, let alone rolled out into 10" rounds. Ours were square, pleated and patched to work. (I'll try to post pix later)

All that said - a bit too much garlic (very subjective) but all in all these were amazing. I think we both gave them at least a 9.5. (I have to admit that I forgot to put the cheese in the bottom and had to put it on the top - I liked it that well, it melted down through the filling).

We'll have these again, and are thinking that with baby bellas they would make a nice appy. Very elegant.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Mushroom Wellington Review by Harborwitch (I made these for din...)
Thanks for that review, Sharon. I'd have to make a few adjustments, as well. Of course, I'd have to use that "quick puff pastry" recipe that I always use, since the packaged type is not available here. In addition, I'd have to use Gorgonzola of regular bleu cheese since we don't have Roquefort, either. For the shiitakes, I'd have to reconstitute some dried ones and would just have to be sure to decide to make this when the store actually has portobellos.

Since I'm not a big fan of walnuts, how do you think pine nuts would work? They would sound like the more natural choice for that filling, anyway (i.e. just as some people cheat with walnuts, instead of pine nits, in pesto).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mushroom Wellington Review by labradors (Thanks for that revi...)
I'd have used pine nuts if I hadn't been out of those too. The pistachios worked but walnuts or pine nuts would have been better.
  Re: Re: Mushroom Wellington Review by Harborwitch (I'd have used pine n...)
sounds really good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mushroom Wellington Review by cjs (sounds really good. ...)
This was quite an issue!
  Re: Re: Mushroom Wellington Review by Harborwitch (This was quite an is...)
I think I'll use pine nuts. Thanks for the review, Sharon.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mushroom Wellington Review by Harborwitch (This was quite an is...)
Yes, thanks for the review! I'll be doing this one next. And yes, it was quite an issue. I've cooked more from this one than any one in the last 2 years. Are you listening, C@H?
PJ
  Re: Re: Mushroom Wellington Review by pjcooks (Yes, thanks for the ...)
I hope they are PJ!
  Re: Re: Mushroom Wellington Review by Harborwitch (I hope they are PJ!...)
What? no picture?!

This is something my daughter will LOVE! Thanks for posting this
  Re: Re: Mushroom Wellington Review by DFen911 (What? no picture?! [...)
Denise, I started to say I'd race you in making this....sorry! I'll post pictures when I make it. You can send them to BG....nothing like making them feel just a little homesick.

Speaking of BG, when does she get home? Was she in Spain for the semester or the year? I can't remember.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.