Brine Safety, I got a question
  Re: (...)
Help friends, I put a fully defrosted chicken in brine Fri am and put in fridge. Didn't feel well and didn't rotiss it Fri, and don't feel like doing it today either. Will it be okay to leave in brine in fridge til tomorrow? Or should I take it out, rinse and store in fridge till tomorrow, OR is it not even safe to cook and eat anymore???
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Brine Safety, I got a question by farnfam (Help friends, I put...)
If, it was barely thawed when you put it in the brine Friday, I'd say just rinse, dry and hold it. Could you just go ahead and roast it in the oven, so you don't have to mess with it? That would be the safest, if not, cook tomorrow for sure.

Feel better soon!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Brine Safety, I got a question by cjs (If, it was barely th...)
Thanx, chief
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Brine Safety, I got a question by farnfam (Thanx, chief [img]/u...)
I am such a wuss when it comes to holding things in the fridge....especially chicken! Jean, I can't believe it won't be too salty after a day and a half. I would have tossed it...LOL! Actually, depending on the sell by date, I would have been hesitant to cook a chicken that was in the fridge for 3 days, brine or no brine.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Brine Safety, I got a question by Gourmet_Mom (I am such a wuss whe...)
That's why I said, "If, it was barely thawed when you put it in the brine Friday," it should be safe. It may be too salty, depending on size and ratio of brine, but safe - it probably will be.

BUT, any doubts, throw it away.I don't want that responsibility.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Brine Safety, I got a question by cjs (That's why I said, "...)
I would be inclined to simmer it gently and make a yummy corn and chick soup. Or heave a whole lot more in and do stew or casserole. I feel quite sure it will be safe used this way, but best today.
  Re: Re: Brine Safety, I got a question by vannin (I would be inclined ...)
Well, the brine isn't a super salty one. Probbly 1/2 C salt and sugar and @ 2-3 qts water.
As long as I cook it to a proper internal temp, I don't imagine anything that did grow is going to survive that.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Brine Safety, I got a question by farnfam (Well, the brine isn...)
Me neither.