Super Bowl XLV-Sunday, 2/6/11 What Shall We Eat??
  Re: (...)
We don't have too much time to plan - or is everyone ready with the menus already?? Let's have this a sticky until the game, shall we???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Super Bowl XLV-Sunday, 2/6/11 What Shall We Eat?? by cjs (We don't have too mu...)
Oh dear, I hope I am not working at the winery that day! They are having their annual wine and chocolate tasting event that weekend (and the next). I have been craving cheese steaks for some time now, they may make it onto my menu.
Making it a stickie is a brilliant idea Jean! You must be the keeper of the brain today.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Super Bowl XLV-Sunday, 2/6/11 What Shall We Eat?? by chef_Tab (Oh dear, I hope I am...)
"Making it a stickie is a brilliant idea Jean! You must be the keeper of the brain today." Ditto! This one and the dinner review.

I'll have to give this some thought. I KNOW that if I don't get to the Caesar Nachos before then, they will be on the menu. I'm thinking about pizzas, but I have no idea which we will choose. I'll probably spend Saturday prepping everything, including the breakfast casseroles for Sunday morning. That way I'll be able to take a nap so I'll be able to enjoy (read: stay awake for) the game. And after these two Snow Day make up weeks, I'm thinking a Monday off may be in order by then. Yea, I like the sound of THAT!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Super Bowl XLV-Sunday, 2/6/11 What Shall We Eat?? by Gourmet_Mom ("Making it a stickie...)
Quote:

I KNOW that if I don't get to the Caesar Nachos before then, they will be on the menu. I'm thinking about pizzas, but I have no idea which we will choose.

Split the difference: ditch the flour tortillas, cut back on the Parmesan, add shredded Mozzarella and reconstruct the nachos as a chicken-Caesar pizza! Do use the dressing from the nacho recipe, though: it will be perfect. I've made chicken-Caesar pizzas, and they are wonderful.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Super Bowl XLV-Sunday, 2/6/11 What Shall We Eat?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
No, I will keep the nachos pure for a review. But I have been meaning to do a salad style pizza. So if I do the nachos beforehand, I WILL be doing a Caesar on a pizza! Rest assured!

Now to decide what pizza to serve it on? To do a Mike's Mountain Chicken with a Caesar topper or something else? HMMMMMM? Then there's that Crab Pizza...... There will be a decision soon. I doubt I'll make it, but wouldn't it be cool!!!

Maybe I'll celebrate what may be and have both!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Super Bowl XLV-Sunday, 2/6/11 What Shall We Eat?? by Gourmet_Mom (No, I will keep the ...)
Well, here's my contribution for the Super Bowl. It's a recipe I had originally created for a contest, but never actually entered due to other things that came up here at the time. This turned out VERY well, and I would make it again.

Jalapeño Beerburgers
Makes 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 Lbs. Ground chuck
  • 1 Can (12 Oz.) Beer (probably better flavour if it is NOT a "lite" beer)
  • 4 Medium Jalapeño peppers, very finely diced (brunoise)
  • 2 Tsp. Garlic powder
  • 1 Tsp. Salt
  • 1 Tsp. Pepper
  • 4 Slices Red onion, 1/4" thick
  • 4 Slices Provolone cheese (not too thin or thick)
  • 4 Kaiser rolls
  • 4 Slices Tomato, 1/4" thick
  • Lettuce, as needed
  • Ketchup, as needed
Instructions:
  1. Thoroughly mix the jalapeños, garlic powder, salt and pepper into the ground chuck.
  2. Divide the ground chuck into 4 patties of 6 ounces each.
  3. Place the patties into a dish deep enough to hold the patties and the beer but shallow enough to be able to remove the patties easily.
  4. Add the beer.
  5. Marinate for 30 minutes.
  6. Flip the patties.
  7. Marinate 30 minutes more.
  8. Grill the burgers and onions until almost to desired doneness.
  9. Cover each burger with a slice of Provolone.
  10. Finish grilling the burgers and onions until they are done and the cheese is melted.
  11. Serve each burger on a kaiser roll with a slice of the grilled red onion, a slice of tomato, some lettuce and some ketchup.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Super Bowl XLV-Sunday, 2/6/11 What Shall We Eat?? by labradors (Well, here's my cont...)
"chicken-Caesar pizza!" - I was going to say, "it's in the book" Beat me to it, Daphne.

I found a pizza round in the freezer and we haven't had pizza since we left home (about the longest we've gone without for years!! ), so will work it in somewhere. But, that's another thread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Super Bowl XLV-Sunday, 2/6/11 What Shall We Eat?? by cjs ("chicken-Caesar pizz...)
Jean, that is one of my favorite pizzas from "The Book" so far! I LOVE the flavors! But I think I'm going to play with it a little and use the creamy Caesar dressing on the pizza instead of the Ranch and work from there. Whatcha think?

Have I ever told you that "Pizza, Pizza, Pizza" is my favorite of your cookbooks? I just LOVE everything about that little thing. The layout and size were just "JEANIOUS"!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Super Bowl XLV-Sunday, 2/6/11 What Shall We Eat?? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, that is one of...)
thank you for the kind words - as it says in the beginning of the book, just play with the recipes, use them as a starting point and then let the author know all the new goodies.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Super Bowl XLV-Sunday, 2/6/11 What Shall We Eat?? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, that is one of...)
We don't have a superbowl, but it we did I would make a million club (NZ) sandwiches, day before. The clubs we make here are different from the US ones. We get 21 out of 1 standard loaf, and its the easiet bread to use. depending on fillings it is a good choice for large numbers of people you wish to enchant without taking out a mortgage.