Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison
  Re: Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison by Gourmet_Mom (Actually, I didn't n...)
Wow! This was sooooooo good! It was full of flavor. The meatballs were very moist. Even my daughter could not resist a couple of eensy-weensy bites of the meatballs. My hubby and son loved, loved, loved it. This sauce was well-seasoned and fresh tasting. I wouldn't change a thing! This is a keeper.

I made the meatballs exactly as directed and it made 28 of them. Man oh man this was wonderful.
[Image: DSC03198.jpg]

My only regret is that I didn't get an after photo for you all! The meatballs were well-browned and beautiful. I am drooling just thinking about last night's dinner...
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison by luvnit (Wow! This was sooooo...)
Laura, what kind of tomatoes did you use?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison by Mare749 (Laura, what kind of ...)
I used Romas and it they were great! And cheap. 1.49 a lb.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison by luvnit (I used Romas and it ...)
Glad I looked at this again. First time I skimmed it and thought the stuff under the meatballs was carrot, onion, celery and got turned off. Now I see what it really is and it's a great idea. I think I'd use ground turkey and a little bulk hot sausage for the meatballs. Roma tomatoes are available now, and I like it that they're less runny.
So, I shall definitely give this a try!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison by farnfam (Glad I looked at thi...)
Thanks Laura, that's what I'll use then.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison by Mare749 (Thanks Laura, that's...)
This was so easy! One hint...this is one recipe you don't want to increase the garlic....LOL! I WAY overdid it this time. I like that you can use a minimum amount of pots. I used my pasta pot to mix the meatballs....washed out....made the pasta.....drained...processed the sauce using my new Smart Stick in the same pot. Minimum cleanup. I agree that it makes a lot. I'd say that it would serve 12 easy.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison by Gourmet_Mom (This was so easy! O...)
Ok this just got imported into my YummyCook I think this will be dinner on Saturday night.

Daphne you forgot pictures
  Re: Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison by DFen911 (Ok this just got imp...)
Didn't forget, just didn't take time. Since Jean didn't get a shot after cooking them, I decided to take one after. It's just that dinner was late and will be again tomorrow. I'll try to post it Friday.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison by Gourmet_Mom (Didn't forget, just ...)
I finally made this Friday night! Now let's see if I can post the pics...

My basic ingredients. I used Romas. Also, we didn't have any dried oregano or basil so everything I used was fresh from the herb garden.
[Image: 5381997620_680cfe2e77.jpg]

Ready to go into the oven!
[Image: 5381393969_4a48a74c60.jpg]

And fresh out. I left it in longer than 45 mins..maybe 55. I wanted the meatballs to get nice and brown, but the veggies were a little overcooked. Still tasted great and the meatballs were still really moist.
[Image: 5381394509_2c7e25d67b.jpg]

Maybe excess photo-linking but here is a closer look at the veggies. Most of the liquid is from the veggies and I think bits of cheese also oozed out which made for a rich sauce! Ok, some of it was fat. But it wasn't too much.
[Image: 5381395075_f94489dd22.jpg]

D used the stick blender instead of the food processor so that we could control the texture more.
[Image: 5381395537_30526e92a4.jpg]

I didn't take a picture of our plates. I really liked the results. I should have been more careful with that fresh oregano..it was a little too much. Next time I'll play around with it a little more. Maybe some extra veggies in the sauce and a different kind of cheese (asiago or pecorino) in the meatballs. Either way, it's a keeper.

Edited to say thank you to Labs for the picture posting tutorial! These pics would have taken much, much longer to find their way onto the forum without your instruction.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Spaghetti Marinara & Meatballs - For Allison by cheesemonger (I finally made this ...)
Glad to have helped, Allison. Nice pictures.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?