Foolproof Standing Rib Roast
  Re: (...)
I am making this recipe today for dinner and have made it several times before. But I wanted to share with you all my findings.

This is a recipe that I have seen before, but was shown on a Paula Deen episode. The first time I made it with a 5 lb roast it turned out perfectly just by following the directions. The second time I made this, I used a thermometer and a 10 lb roast. BIG mistake using the thermometer. It NEVER got to the correct temperature. I finally took the darn thing out of the oven and it was so over cooked. It wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't rare.

I cooked it again with a 10 lb roast followed the recipe exactly and it was perfect. Now the recipe calls for a 5 lb. roast, but on the show she states that you can do this with ANY size roast 5 lbs or larger. I agree, this is true. Now recently I did a 2 lb roast the same way. This method did not work. The roast was over cooked.

Today I am doing an 8 lb. roast and I will follow the directions exactly.

Here is the recipe:
Paula's Foolproof Standing Rib Roast
We are also having:
Paula's Shrimp Mashed Potatoes
I also plan to make a Caesar salad . I am trying to find the recipe Bill gave us for the dressing. Does anyone have that handy?
I have also been wanting to try this recipe, so I will make if for dessert:
Angel Food Tiramisu
I will give you the review Monday morning.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Foolproof Standing Rib Roast by luvnit (I am making this rec...)
Guess I'll have to break down and try this method. But, sounds like your oven temp. probe needs calibration - should not be a factor at all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thanks for the additional notes, Laura. I've added it to the original recipe in my MC. Your dinner sounds wonderful. Have a great time!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Foolproof Standing Rib Roast by cjs (Guess I'll have to b...)
I will tell you what Jean, now that you have my curiousity going. I will cook it just like the recipes says, but I will put in the thermometer to test it out again. Then I will report back what I find.

It's a digital thermometer that I have used for years. Just used it on Thanksgiving for the turkey.

Have you done this method with a thermometer before?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Foolproof Standing Rib Roast by luvnit (I will tell you what...)
We did an almost 7 1/2 lb yesterday. I mixed Penzeys English Prime Rib Rub with an equal amount of roasted crushed peppercorns, 5 cloves of crushed and pasted garlic, and a TBS of chopped fresh parsley. We lifted the roast off the ribs and seasoned the inside, then tied it back up and seasoned the rest. We let it sit for about 90 minutes, to get to an even temp, tossed it in a 400 oven for about 45 minutes, turned it off, and then just warmed it for about 30 minutes before dinner - perfect rare tender. Yummmmmmmm.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Foolproof Standing Rib Roast by Harborwitch (We did an almost 7 1...)
I've seen this from Paula before - and probably on this site, but I prefer to stick with Shirley's method.

But if I ever do more than one rib, I'll give it a whirl! Thanks!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Foolproof Standing Rib Roast by BarbaraS (I've seen this from ...)
Laura, your temperature probe IS one that stays in the meat as it cooks, right? If so, should not be a problem.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
We have a Kitchen Aid double wall oven. The top one has a temp probe to put in the meat while cooking. I cook my beef tenderloin to 125 internally, but I could never get the probe to work, so I used an instant read to get it right. I also start it at 400 and cut the temp to 250 after 10 min. I know men are from mars and women are from venus---I finally read the instructions and found the probe only worked at an internal temp of 130 or above. Look at the instructions--maybe there is something you missed.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Foolproof Standing Rib Roast by Old Bay (We have a Kitchen Ai...)
Bill, I have a Jennaire and had the same problem. I had totally forgotten about that. Although, my independent digital works great! My biggest problem with that probe is chicken. I can't seem to get it positioned to read correctly. I always wound up with raw chicken in places. So I use my instant read for that.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Foolproof Standing Rib Roast by Gourmet_Mom (Bill, I have a Jenna...)
Don't forget: if you ARE going to calibrate a thermometer or temperature probe, if it can read lower temperatures, calibrate it in ice water, NOT boiling water, unless you are at sea level or already know the correct boiling point of water for your altitude.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?