JANUARY 1, 2011 - What's for Dinner???
  Re: (...)
Here we go again - what's on everyone's menu for tonight?

It's going to be a long driving day from FT. Stockton to Las Cruces, New Mexico, so I have Hawaiian beef strips ready to (weather will predict) grill or roast in the oven and leftover rice that I can just add some goodies to and have a fast, easy dinner.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: JANUARY 1, 2011 - What's for Dinner??? by cjs (Here we go again - w...)
We love New Mexico. I am always surprised at how much snow they have this time of year. I remember driving on glare ice. Hope the weather cooperates with you guys.

I think we will have a nice big salad. Although I must find a protein to go on top. Steak sounds good right now. I will have to pull some out of the freezer.

I have some peppers too, maybe I will make a fajita salad? With some tortilla strips. Now that sounds good!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: JANUARY 1, 2011 - What's for Dinner??? by luvnit (We love New Mexico. ...)
I have to come up with an idea. We returned home last night, unpacked, and did nothing for a while. There is no food in the house and I am hoping stores are open today. After reading the taco salad bowl thread, tacos are sounding pretty good at the moment.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: JANUARY 1, 2011 - What's for Dinner??? by chef_Tab (I have to come up wi...)
I'm guessing pulled pork sammies! I don't think we'll be able to eat all that ham today for lunch.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: JANUARY 1, 2011 - What's for Dinner??? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm guessing pulled ...)
Rib roast with smashie potatoes!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: JANUARY 1, 2011 - What's for Dinner??? by BarbaraS (Rib roast with smash...)
Today I do the Cantonese Duck I'm glad it's cold outside, currently 28...in S. Calif! so gonna go clean my duck and get her hanging in the garage. Oh this is gonna be fun. No clue what I am serving with it yet. I have jasmine rice or noodles.

Jean what did you serve with yours?
  Re: Re: JANUARY 1, 2011 - What's for Dinner??? by DFen911 (Today I do the Canto...)
We have a family tradition from my paternal grandmother for ham and cabbage on New Year's Day. I added hoppin' john to the mix a few years ago. I'll make some cornbread, too.
  Re: Re: JANUARY 1, 2011 - What's for Dinner??? by HomeCulinarian (We have a family tra...)
Pork roast, smoked sausages, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, rolls and homemade applesauce.

This is a traditional New Years Day meal from Ron's side of the family that we have every year.

Denise, I can't wait to hear all about that duck. Hope you will come back with the whole story and pics if you can.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: JANUARY 1, 2011 - What's for Dinner??? by Mare749 (Pork roast, smoked s...)
You know the more I hear about the piggy and kraut the more I want THAT! Alas - we've got a beautiful Prime rib, mashed potatoes, horseradish sauce, broccoli, and rolls. And whatever else comes around!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: JANUARY 1, 2011 - What's for Dinner??? by Harborwitch (You know the more I ...)
I am taking pictures every step of the way. The duck is offically hanging in the garage with a fan on it. Lol I have the drip pan between 2 motorcycles. If one drop gets on either bike that ducks neck won't be the only one in a noose