Cooking pork question
  Re: (...)
William picked up a 24 pound fresh ham. He wants it done by lunch tomorrow. To do that, he would need to put it on at 350 at around midnight. Obviously, that's not something he wants to do. About how long do you think it would need to cook if he put it on 250? He'd like to put it on at the farm and just leave it to "cadillac" all night.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Cooking pork question by Gourmet_Mom (William picked up a ...)
I'm only guessing, Daphne, but if I were cooking something that large, I would score the fat and also make some deep slits into the meat and stick in a bunch of garlic cloves, sprinkle with seasoning and put into a 400 oven for 20-30 minutes, then drop it down to 275, add some liquid, and cover with foil. Oh, and I would probably put it in the oven between 8 and 9 tonight. Should be fine, but I'm not a professional, so someone more knowledgeable may be on later to give a better opionion. Boy, is that going to be good!!!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cooking pork question by Mare749 (I'm only guessing, D...)
Is he at the cabin or home tonight? If home, why not cook it now and heat it at the cabin for lunch. Is that a possibility?

I guess I don't know the proximity of the farm?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking pork question by cjs (Is he at the cabin o...)
He was so worried about leaving it out there alone, he brought it home. It's sitting around after getting rubbed, stuffed with garlic, and injected with hot sauce, waiting it's turn in the oven. We'll be doing it the way Maryann suggested. The house is going to smell soooo good in the morning! I like that way better than what he usually does...350 for ~12 hours. It's always good, but I think the high, then low and slow will make it even better. He'll take it out to the farm (about 3 miles?) when he leaves in the morning and finish it off there.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cooking pork question by Gourmet_Mom (He was so worried ab...)
Ok while I'm not a big ham fan that sounds really good. What kind of hot sauce did you use? Are you taking pictures as you go? (Was that not subtle enough that I'm in the mood for a slide show? )
  Re: Re: Cooking pork question by DFen911 (Ok while I'm not a b...)
Sorry, no pictures other than the one in the New Year's sticky. William snuck out of the house with it this morning while I was still sleeping. The hot sauce was some Texas Pete he had on hand.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cooking pork question by Gourmet_Mom (Sorry, no pictures o...)
D@mn that sounds good! Shoot, I'd rather have that than the Prime! Got to remember the hot sauce!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cooking pork question by Harborwitch ([url=mailto:D@mn]D@m...)
Oh, it was soooo good! I just got back. We don't usually cook hams, but the store had sold out of Boston Butts. It was almost 25 pounds...LOL! The collards and black eyed peas were good, but the runner up to the best thing out there was a pot of ham and beans one of the guys brought out there. YUM!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cooking pork question by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, it was soooo goo...)
So, just in case any of us wants to cook something THAT large sometime in the future, how long did you end up cooking it? Was it fall-apart tender?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cooking pork question by Mare749 (So, just in case any...)
Maryann, you done good! I followed your advice to the letter, and the pork was done at noon. We put it on at around 8 pm last night. And yes, William said it was fall apart tender. I would have preferred he leave some not chopped, but that's what he does. He had it all chopped by the time I got there.

Since we don't have a lot of freezer space, he bagged up what wasn't eaten to give away to the guys that ate lunch. Unfortunately, somebody took two bags and left me with none.
Daphne