Arroz con Pollo question
  Re: (...)
I was just mentioning this in another thread, and decided to look up a recipe for it. But I may be mistaken what the kids were eating Monday. I assumed ACP (That's even how it was listed on the menu.) was Arroz con Pollo, but now that I have looked at an actual recipe, I'm wondering. I knew Arroz con Pollo was chicken with rice, but I hadn't remembered seeing it served with the white cheese sauce like they served Monday. The kids were very familiar with this, as they order it all the time at various Mexican restaurants in the area...always listed as ACP and served covered with a white cheese sauce.

So what IS ACP and what is that white cheese sauce/dip. William fell in love with it. It would be a nice change for all the chicken recipes we have all the time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Arroz con Pollo question by Gourmet_Mom (I was just mentionin...)
Just googling around and found "Arroz con Pollo "ACP"
Slices of grilled chicken topped with nacho cheese. Served with rice." as a description on the menu at La Fiesta restaurants in NC. Not what I would call Arroz con Pollo - but it does sound really good. I'm guessing Ortega nacho cheese dip????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Arroz con Pollo question by Harborwitch (Just googling around...)
No, it's white....Queso Blanco. Now to get a good recipe for it. It looked like this:

[Image: cheese_dip_bowl.JPG]

Also, I found ONE recipe with Swiss cheese, but it had tomatoes in it, but all the rest swear you won't get a good creamy consistency if you don't use a White AMERICAN cheese...not a white cheddar. Most recommend a Land of Lakes brand like what you can get at Walmart!

From looking at it, the ACP was just sauteed pieces of chicken served over some rice with this sauce/dip poured over. Based on the flavor of the sauce, I'm betting it's really good! I'm also guessing the chicken pieces were seasoned with a little heat...at least I would. The picture above came from a site calling for the LOL brand American cheese, milk, and jalapenos. Put the cheese chunks in the food processor...process...add heated milk and jalapenos, and puree until smooth.

But honestly, I have a BUNCH of Vermont white cheddar and would love to believe I could use that. But I'd hate to wind up with a chunky mess, thus wasting my cheese.
  Re: Arroz con Pollo question by Gourmet_Mom (I was just mentionin...)
I've been making the arroz con pollo recipe that came in the Jan 8, 2009 email recipe and it is a hit. I've made a double recipe to take to bereaved folks when a loved one has died, and they say, without fail, that of all the food they received, it was the best. It's very forgiving and can be made ahead and reheated.
  Re: Re: Arroz con Pollo question by lxxf (I've been making the...)
Hi, Sally! How are you! Does this recipe involve a white cheese sauce? I got bumped from the e-recipes for a while and missed that one. If it involves a white cheese sauce, I'd be most grateful if you'd post it, but only if it has the cheese sauce.

From what I am finding on line, this seems like it may be a dish unique to NC. But I'm sure the Queso Blanco is something found all around. If I could get a good recipe for that, I think I can wing the rest.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Arroz con Pollo question by Gourmet_Mom (Hi, Sally! How are ...)
Not really sure that the cheddar would melt the same, and sometimes the fat tends to separate. Jack, Queso Quesadilla, etc. melt well.

I found this - sounds good!
Queso Blanco
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Arroz con Pollo question by Harborwitch (Not really sure that...)
Looks like a good place to start! I know I can get Jack in town, and I know I've seen Queso something in town. I'm going to check it out the next time there. I'm getting the feeling that the "melt-a-bility" of the cheese is going to be key. I'll have to see what I can find.

I'm thinking I may start with this one, since I can get the LOL cheese at the local grocery and it's so simple. Real Hacienda's Cheese Dip The LOL white American cheese seems to be so consistent in the favored recipes I've found.

Thanks, Sharon!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Arroz con Pollo question by Harborwitch (Not really sure that...)
Sally, nice to see you again! Daphne, the queso blanco is used commonly in our Mexican restaurants as well. I think that I may have seen it at Sam's Club in the cheese department.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Arroz con Pollo question by Mare749 (Sally, nice to see y...)
Arroz con Pollo doesn't have any cheese - nor is it covered in a cheese sauce. It is rice cooked with vegetables and chicken in it, usually flavoured with sofrito.

CubanGirl would probably have a good recipe for it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Arroz con Pollo question by labradors ([i]Arroz con Pollo[/...)
I should have titled this thread differently. I'm not looking for an Arroz con Pollo recipe. I'm looking for a cheese sauce for a dish served at a Mexican restaurant that had, what I believe to be a Queso Blanco sauce on it. It was basically, small pieces of chicken sautéed, served over rice with a white cheese sauce over. Is there an accurate name for this? The restaurants in the mountains of NC call it ACP...thus my reference to Arroz con Pollo.
Daphne