Persimmons
  Re: (...)
Has anyone ever cooked with persimmons?

The reason why I ask is that my dear Sister and BIL came over from Scotland last night and I was over to see them and Mom today. They had been out to the store and Sis put the unripe persimmons in the wood bowl to ripen.

I was curious as how to use the fruit. Well she replied that she waits for it to ripen and just eats it.

I just made a meat loaf to bring over and had scored some ripe ones at the store and they are delicious and was thinking about incorporating a little persimmon into the meatloaf. Heck, I add a half cup of applesauce anyway.

Curious - has anyone used persimmon in a recipe?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Persimmons by BarbaraS (Has anyone ever cook...)
I haven't. We just eat them. My grandmother used to talk about having persimmon tea. My mother used to tease her, saying that THAT particular tea was fermented...Ma Ma would have NEVER admitted to allowing alcohol to pass her lips.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Persimmons by Gourmet_Mom (I haven't. We just ...)
Don't really know much about them, but do remember they used to get a lot of mention in Euell Gibbons' books.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Persimmons by labradors (Don't really know mu...)
Oh my, we had a tree in California years ago and I've made persimmon bread, muffins, syrup, (even) ketchup, can't remember what all. I had to use them quickly so my kids couldn't have persimmon 'wars' - anyone ever have to work with clothes stiff with having been drenched in persimmon pulp???? Ain't pretty or nice.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Persimmons by cjs (Oh my, we had a tree...)
LOL!! I can actually visualize this.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Persimmons by BarbaraS (LOL!! I can actuall...)
I knew someone with a tree, so we had lots of them every year in the fall. I used to make persimmon cookies which we really enjoyed. I bought some at the grocery store and they were not as good as I remembered them, so I have not bought any again.
  Re: Re: Persimmons by Cubangirl (I knew someone with ...)
Love them!! I use them in Permisson cookies but they have to be ripe. You'll know they are when they start to feel like a water balloon. The problem is they don't all ripen at the same time.

As they ripened I would scoop out the pulp and puree it in my food processor. I always did 2 at a time and then froze the rest. So whenever I need puree I knew that each container was 2.
Ingredients

2 ripe persimmons, pureed
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Dissolve baking soda in persimmon pulp and set aside.
Sift flour, spices and salt together, set aside.

Cream together butter or margarine and sugar until fluffy, beat in egg and persimmon. Stir in dry ingredients. Stir in nuts and raisins.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
  Re: Re: Persimmons by DFen911 (Love them!! I use th...)
"You'll know they are when they start to feel like a water balloon." Yes, hence the persimmon bomb fights...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Persimmons by cjs ("You'll know they ar...)
Okay, so I didn't include any persimmon in the meat loaf, but maybe I will in the future. Like I said, I put in 1/2 C of applesauce and it's all good.

Barbara