Freeze-dried shallots?
  Re: (...)
Have any of you ever used freeze-dried shallots? If so, how were they and what was the conversion factor versus fresh shallots?

Also, how would they be used in recipes that call for sweating or sautéing fresh shallots (as opposed to something where they could just be tossed into an existing liquid)?

I have never seen shallots down here, but have found a place where I could get freeze-dried shallots, so I'm trying to decide if they are worth getting and, if so, what quantity I should get.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Freeze-dried shallots? by labradors (Have any of you ever...)
I've never heard of such a thing.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Freeze-dried shallots? by Gourmet_Mom (I've never heard of ...)
Here's one example, though not what they would have here:

[Image: 81sqthiap0saa1500.jpg]
  Re: Re: Freeze-dried shallots? by labradors (Here's one example, ...)
Oh, okay! Just like freeze dried onions. I've used those and subbed them for real onion in a pinch. If memory serves, I used 1/4 what the recipe called for. I think the last thing I used it in was meatballs. Instead of sautéing the onion, I just mixed the dry right into the mixture. Does that help?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Freeze-dried shallots? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, okay! Just like...)
"Also, how would they be used in recipes that call for sweating or sautéing fresh shallots"

I wouldn't use them for sweating and/or sauteing - I keep them in the trailer, so I have them on hand in the middle of nowhere. I've soaked (water, beer, wine, whatever) and added to say an omelet or something that doesn't require long cooking in addition to soups/stews, etc.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Freeze-dried shallots? by cjs ("Also, how would the...)
Okay, but just about any sauce/reduction recipe calls for the shallots to be sautéed before the pan is deglazed. Is there a way to use these in such things (the main things for which I would want them, in the first place), or should I not even bother, but just stick with the small, red onions (may be some kind of Cambray or cippolini) I've been using as "shallot substitutes," so far?
  Re: Re: Freeze-dried shallots? by labradors (Okay, but just about...)
I guess you could use them the way you want after reconstituting....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Freeze-dried shallots? by labradors (Okay, but just about...)
There have been times I couldn't get my hands on shallots and subbed green onion or red onion. I can get them in town, but it's not worth the 15 mile one way drive when I can go right up the road for the red or green onion. If I had a choice between freeze-dried shallots or red onion, I would pick the latter....especially in the application you describe. That's my two cents.

One other thing...it would be less expensive, too. At least it is in my case.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Freeze-dried shallots? by Gourmet_Mom (There have been time...)
But...I'm with Labs, I just love the flavor of shallots over red or milder green onions.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Freeze-dried shallots? by cjs (But...I'm with Labs,...)
Oh, me, too. As a matter of fact, I try to remember to buy some when I know I've used the last when I'm shopping in town. But I don't favor them enough to spend an hour driving to get some...LOL!
Daphne