Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels
  Re: (...)
[Image: SeaSaltandPinkPeppercornCaramels.jpg]

First, Sharon, I deeply apologize that the caramels which I sent to you did not look as nice as these did. Yours were the first that I cut, and having never made them before, I obviously had much difficulty. Plus it was after midnight on a day where I had been in the kitchen for over 12 hours, baking...

Salt and Pink Peppercorn Caramels
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes

Ingredients

* 1 cup butter
* 1 16-oz. pkg. packed brown sugar (2-1/4 cups)
* 2 cups half-and-half or light cream
* 1 cup light-colored corn syrup
* 1 tsp. vanilla
* 1/2 to 1-1/2 tsp. flaked sea salt or smoked flaked sea salt
* 1/2 to 1-1/2 tsp. pink peppercorns, crushed

Directions

1. Line an 8x8x2-inch or 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil. Set aside.

2. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, half-and-half, and corn syrup; mix well. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan (see Candy Thermometer, below). Reduce heat to medium. Continue boiling mixture at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently, until the thermometer registers 248 degrees F, firm-ball stage (40 to 50 minutes). Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a steady boil.

3. Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Stir in vanilla. Quickly pour mixture into prepared pan. Cool 10 to 12 minutes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. When firm use foil to lift candy out of pan.* Use a buttered knife to cut into 2x1/2-inch size pieces. Wrap each caramel in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Store up to 2 weeks.

*Test Kitchen Tip:For easier slicing, freeze caramel for 10 minutes before cutting.

Candy Thermometer:Cooking to the correct temperature is crucial when making most candies, ensuring toffees turn out crunchy and caramels stay chewy. Our Test Kitchen prefers a digital thermometer with a clip to attach it to the side of the pan. Before making candy, always calibrate the thermometer per manufacture's instructions.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels by foodfiend ([img]http://i756.pho...)
OMG!! Those are gorgeous! Next year I'll be more focused on homemade stuff! This recipe (with your gorgeous photo) is soo copied and saved to try really soon.
  Re: Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels by karyn (OMG!! Those are gorg...)
Please, no apologies Vicci! They are so good and I know I will be required to make them - which is fine with me. Yummmm

Of course everything in that box was incredible! We have been sipping the cranberry liqueur - and it is amazing. I am going to try the cran-tini but it will have to be with vodka - there's no room for a "fully" stocked bar.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels by Harborwitch (Please, no apologies...)
Thanks for the recipe, Vicci. Those look amazing. I'll be trying this recipe for sure.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels by Mare749 (Thanks for the recip...)
Oh man...why did I look...why why why...I have to lose weight before April not put more on
  Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels by foodfiend ([img]http://i756.pho...)
This is trouble!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels by BarbaraS (This is trouble![br]...)
WOW, those are gorgeous!!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels by farnfam (WOW, those are gorge...)
They sure do look yummy.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com