Jean & Roy--Osso buco dinner
  Re: (...)
We had a ball for five days with Jean & Roy!!! I'm not going into every meal, just this one--but first--their furnace went out and we had to find a place to fix it so they came a day early, and arrived with a flat tire after the furnace was fixed--Roy called road service and they fixed it within the hour!! They pluged in the trailer and we discovered we had an electrical circuit problem--that was temporarily solved, then our disposal broke (we have another in the island), so we survived. The last day our garage door opener stuck, but it did resume working later in the day. CAN YOU BELIEVE ALL THAT??? We laughed, drank wine, bloody bulls, and mimosas thru it all--now dinner Friday nite--we served Jane's salad with creamy parmesan dressing in a parmesan cheese basket -delicious! (and ate the basket), beautiful osso buco, sauce, with marrow spoons--delicious!!!. My risotto/aasparagus was adequate. Dessert was Julia's delicious version of creme brulee'.

We opened three wines--1st, an '04 Solaria Brunello di Montalcino (it was a bit harsh when poured, but opened up beautifully while we drank it), 2nd, a Varaldo 01' Barbaresco, a feminine version of the nebbiolo grape--smooth, earthy, fruity, delicious!! And last, I decanted a Batasiolo '98 Barolo two hours before diner--smooth tannins, fruit, barnyard flavors, mushrooms, delicious nose (aroma), --highlite of the evening. Jane said it was the best Barolo she ever drank. A lovely evening in the middle of memorable Christmas!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Jean & Roy--Osso buco dinner by Old Bay (We had a ball for fi...)
I have to say above and beyond that wonderful Osso Buco dinner, the progression of wine Bill planned and served was just outstanding.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean & Roy--Osso buco dinner by cjs (I have to say above ...)
It all sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Jean & Roy--Osso buco dinner by Mare749 (It all sounds wonder...)
It sure does! I'm going to see if I can get any of those wines around here.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Jean & Roy--Osso buco dinner by BarbaraS (It sure does! I'm g...)
Well I'm sorry about all the mishaps, but so glad the visit was fun, AND delicious! I would love to see more pic's if you have them

..and the salad recipe if you please. (sorry that was Derek)

Lol you had him at "creamy parmesan dressing in a parmesan cheese basket"
  Re: Re: Jean & Roy--Osso buco dinner by DFen911 (Well I'm sorry about...)
And, that's is the one that I didn't get or I would post it. Bill will, won't you???

I'll post one more picture then I'll wait till I get home to do an 'album' of all of the pictures.

The Osso Buco - the picture does not do it justice, but it was just wonderful.
[Image: CIMG0187.jpg]

And, darn, I didn't get out of the house with any of the marrow spoons.......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean & Roy--Osso buco dinner by cjs (And, that's is the o...)
OMG that looks so good!! If I want to do that I have to order veal as a specialty item :| The risotto looks perfect. Shoot I gotta call the butcher now...thanks a lot you guys...this picture is gonna cost me
  Re: Re: Jean & Roy--Osso buco dinner by DFen911 (OMG that looks so go...)
Everything (except the problems!) sounds wonderful. Wine sounds outstanding.

DFen - how far away are you from the Farmer's Market on Fairfax? We bought some outstanding veal shanks from the main butcher there (among many other things - short ribs was one of them) when we went last time. Prices were so reasonable. We drove an hour to get there, ate, had a couple of glasses of wine and bought our "goods". It was a nice early afternoon trip.
  Re: Re: Jean & Roy--Osso buco dinner by Trixxee (Everything (except t...)
About an hour and 15 minutes. But that's a great idea! Would make a wonderful trip. Perhaps we should do that and we could even meet up there
  Re: Re: Jean & Roy--Osso buco dinner by DFen911 (About an hour and 15...)
That looks and sounds so delicious!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.