Rib Roast leave it in the oven thing...
  Re: (...)
Ok so decided to try that preheat the oven, toss in the roast, cook for an hour, turn off the heat leave it in there and then turn the heat back on about 30-40 min before serving.

Questions!

1 - It says to leave it in there 3 hours, and I've heard others say the 3 hours doesn't matter. It was designed to let you start dinner early and hold it till you were ready to serve. So I don't have 3 hours, I have 2 hours, think it'll be ok?

2 - Do you let it rest again? I would think it's gonna rest for the 2-3 hours it's sitting in the oven while the temperature comes down.

Leave it to me to try something new at the very last minute. Why do I torture myself like this?
  Re: Rib Roast leave it in the oven thing... by DFen911 (Ok so decided to try...)
Didn't I do something like that in "Meatball"??? Geeze I'm getting old and need to make notes.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Rib Roast leave it in the oven thing... by Harborwitch (Didn't I do somethin...)
Ok this recipe is SPOT ON! Holy cow I cannot believe how good it was.

1 5lb Bone in Rib Roast
1 Tbl Seasoning (I made a big batch and just keeping it in a jar for other uses - 1 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup fresh cracked pepper, 1/4 cup garlic powder).

Let the roast sit out for at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 (get an oven thermometer to make sure when you set the dial to 375 that the temp inside really is 375). Rub 1 tbl of the seasoning all over the roast. Place bone side down in a shallow roasting pan.

Once the hour is up and the oven is hot place the roast inside for 1 hour. Turn the oven off. Let it sit inside the oven for 3 hours. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR FOR ANYTHING! About 1 hour before you want to serve dinner turn the oven back on to 375. Let the roast cook for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it rest for at least 10-15 minutes.

The outsides will be medium/medium rare and middle will be medium rare. This was just a perfect recipe!!!
  Re: Re: Rib Roast leave it in the oven thing... by DFen911 (Ok this recipe is SP...)
That is such a cool way to cook a Prime Rib! I can't wait until New Years.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Rib Roast leave it in the oven thing... by Harborwitch (That is such a cool ...)
It's the only way I like to cook a rib roast anymore!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!