Thumbprint-Style Nutella Cookies with Coffee Jelly
  Re: (...)
Okay. These turned out so good that they needed a separated thread.

First, giving credit where credit is due, the following recipe is my own adaptation of THIS recipe. There were several changes: losing the chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts, replacing the cocoa powder with an equal amount of flour (reversing what would usually be done), reducing the amount of brown sugar and increasing the amount of regular sugar and, of course, adding the coffee jelly and rewriting the instructions to make thumbprint-style cookies and to fill them wih the coffee jelly.

The results were wonderful:
[Image: cookiesclose.jpg]

Thumbprint-Style Nutella Cookies with Coffee Jelly Filling
Makes 8 dozen.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 Sticks Unsalted butter, room temperature (or use salted butter and omit the salt later)
  • 1/2 Cup Brown sugar
  • 1 Cup Granulated sugar
  • 1 Cup Nutella - a 13-Oz. (371g) jar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla
  • 2 Cups, plus 6 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, plus more, if necessary (see instructions)
  • 1/2 Tsp. Baking soda
  • 1/2 Tsp. Salt (Omit if using salted butter)
  • 1/4 – 1/2 Cup Coffee jelly (to taste – see instructions)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Meanwhile, cream the butter in an electric mixer for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
  3. Add the sugars and Nutella and mix well, scraping down the paddle and the sides of the bowl to make sure everything mixes thoroughly.
  4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after adding each one.
  5. Add the vanilla and mix for 10 seconds.
  6. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
  7. Mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture on low speed until fully incorporated, scraping down the paddle and the bottom and sides of the bowl at least once to make sure everything mixing.
  8. Refrigerate the dough for 10 minutes.
  9. Spoon four 1" balls of dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (only four, as an initial test batch).
  10. Using your thumb or the handle of a wooden spoon, make a shallow, wide indentation into each ball of dough – not too deep, or the jelly could come through the bottom of the cookie.
  11. Place about 1/4 – 1/2 Tsp. of coffee jelly (to taste, depending upon the coffee strength of the jelly) into each indentation.
  12. Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.
  13. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a minute or two before transferring to a wire rack.
  14. If the test batch spreads a little too much during baking, add a little more flour into the dough. For me, an extra two tablespoons was just right, but it may vary, depending upon the heat and humidity of your kitchen.
  15. Once the dough is the right consistency, repeat steps 9 through 13 with full batches, refrigerating the dough while each batch is baking.
Notes:
I like to use a rotation of three parchment-lined half sheets to make cookie baking go more smoothly. Here's how it goes:
  1. Put a batch of cookies onto one of the half sheets and prepare them as necessary.
  2. Put them into the oven and start the timer.
  3. While that batch is baking, prepare the next batch of cookies on a second half sheet.
  4. When the batch in the oven is done baking, remove it from the oven, set it aside, put the next batch into the oven and start the timer.
  5. While the one batch is cooling on the half sheet and the other batch is baking, prepare the next batch of cookies on the third half sheet.
  6. While waiting for the batch in the oven to finish baking, transfer the already-baked batch to a wire rack.
  7. Continue cycling through steps 4-6, rotating the batches through the available half sheets until all the cookies are done and are cooling on the wire racks.

P.S.: These are REALLY great with milk.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Thumbprint-Style Nutella Cookies with Coffee Jelly by labradors (Okay. These turned ...)
They look and sound wonderful, Labs! And the rotation cycle of sheet pans is how I do it...it does make it so much easier to get the job done.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thumbprint-Style Nutella Cookies with Coffee Jelly by Gourmet_Mom (They look and sound ...)
Very nice! Those look delicious, labs! Sounds like you got that recipe down to a science. Don't you just love when something turns out great? I do the 3 sheet rotation myself and it works out well and keeps me focused by doing it the same way all the time. Less burnt cookies that way.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thumbprint-Style Nutella Cookies with Coffee Jelly by Mare749 (Very nice! Those lo...)
LOL, Maryann! I guess it was some science to make the adaptation, but I didn't have it "down to a science," yet, since it was the first time I had tried it AND I had made all those adjustments. Am thrilled that they turned out so well.
  Re: Re: Thumbprint-Style Nutella Cookies with Coffee Jelly by labradors (LOL, Maryann! I gue...)
Beautiful!
  Re: Thumbprint-Style Nutella Cookies with Coffee Jelly by labradors (Okay. These turned ...)
Finally got the coffee jelly to the right firmness, so I am now taking these cookies to the farmer's markets.

[Image: 3oxpx1F.jpg]

Of course, I can't use the Nutella name, so I sell them as "Chocolate-Hazelnut Thumbprints with Coffee Jelly."
  Re: RE: Thumbprint-Style Nutella Cookies with Coffee Jelly by labradors (Finally got the coff...)
Oh Labs! Those are beautiful a d sound really good!
Wow, those are going to be a huge hit, Labs! They sound fabulous. Let us know how they are selling.

I can still remember the first time I got to try chocolate covered coffee beans. Loved them and also love coffee flavored ice cream. I would buy those cookies in a heartbeat. Wink
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Thanks.

Except when I was a kid (i.e. before I had had any coffee), coffee has always been my favourite ice cream and peanut butter second. Vanilla is okay if it's made with actual vanilla beans and for chocolate ice cream I prefer actual chocolate and not just cocoa powder. There's a big difference in the taste of chocolate ice cream versus cocoa-powder "chocolate" ice cream.

Hard to gauge how the cookies are going to do, yet. People have liked the samples but the weather has slowed down sales, overall, for this past week.
I could sure go for one of those cookies right now.  How delicious.