Making Vanilla Extract
  Re: (...)
Okay all, Here's a Q -

I found the cutest bottle with a ceramic stopper at Kitchen Kapers and it holds about 2 cups. So I went out and got some pretty expensive bourbon as recommended by the good peeps on this board. Question is, how many beans would you soak in 2 cups? I finally opened the test tube the beans came in and man are they fragrant!! I'm still smelling them on my hands after doing the dishes!

I put in two beans, should I go for three?

TIA,

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Making Vanilla Extract by BarbaraS (Okay all, Here's a Q...)
Barbara, I put three in a four cup jar. That reminds me, I'll need to cap it off after all this Christmas baking. I also put one in a jar of sugar that I reserve for baking. That will need to be refilled also.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Making Vanilla Extract by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, I put three...)
Daphne,

So I should be good to go with 2 in a 2-cupper.

Seriously though, check out the cute little stopper bottles at Kitchen Kapers.

Hmmmm... vanilla sugar. How much suger per bean?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Making Vanilla Extract by BarbaraS (Daphne,[br][br]So I ...)
I've got about 6 cups with one bean, but I'm sure, given time, one bean could probably "flavor" a 5 pound bag. Mine is PLENTY strong! It's just that I don't bake much, so keeping four cups in a jar and capping it off when I use some is plenty. I'll probably have to add some regular sugar in with my "flavored" sugar, but it's so strong, I'm confident it will be good.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Making Vanilla Extract by Gourmet_Mom (I've got about 6 cup...)
Kewl!! Thanks!!

Barbara
  Re: Making Vanilla Extract by BarbaraS (Okay all, Here's a Q...)
I used six or seven beans per fifth. Beautiful stuff....

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Making Vanilla Extract by pjcooks (I used six or seven ...)
I wonder what the difference was? How long did you have to wait until you used the vanilla extract? I couldn't use mine for several months. Plus, I was using vodka. Would that make a difference?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Making Vanilla Extract by Gourmet_Mom (I wonder what the di...)
I used vodka and was going to wait 2 months. Then I forgot to remove the beans as I was using up my old stock, so it was probably about three.

Like I said, good stuff.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Making Vanilla Extract by pjcooks (I used vodka and was...)
Okay, when I was using mine while ago, I had a DUH moment. You were using six in a FIFTH...not four cups...DUH! So pretty equal to mine.
Daphne