Self Rising Flour
  Re: (...)
Do any of you have favorite recipes that call for self rising flour? I bought a bag for a recipe, but would hate to see it go to waste.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Self Rising Flour by esgunn (Do any of you have f...)
I have some wonderful cookies that call for it. I will post the recipe later for you. I use it Beer Bread as well.
  Re: Re: Self Rising Flour by Cubangirl (I have some wonderfu...)
Yes, I do, Erin, but Roy's looking over my shoulder and I can't do a darn thing....and he's feeling something..... both..... bye.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Self Rising Flour by cjs (Yes, I do, Erin, but...)
Oh, dear! William's cheering in the background! ROFLOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Self Rising Flour by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, dear! William's...)
OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!

Gertie gal cover your eyes
  Re: Re: Self Rising Flour by DFen911 (OMG!! OMG!! OMG!![br...)
Here are the cookies. They are pretty and decadent. We had to stop ourselves from eating one every time we went by. They held up well for several days.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

ALMOND CHOCOLATE BARS*****

Servings: 12 Yield: 36 3" X 1" BARS

Oven Temperature: 350°F

½ cup sugar
1½ cups packed brown sugar divided
¾ cup butter (or margarine) softened
3 eggs separated
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups self-rising flour
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup flaked or shredded coconut
1 cup chopped almonds divided

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13"X9"X2" pan.

Beat butter until light at the granulated sugar, ½ cup of the brown sugar and beat until light. Add the egg yolks and vanilla and beat at low speed until blended, then switch to medium speed and beat until smooth, scraping sides of bowl. Continue beating until stiff and glossy (about 2 minutes). Stir in Flour. Press dough in pan with floured hands; sprinkle with chocolate chips, coconut and ½ cup of almonds.

Beat egg whites until foamy. Beat 1 cup brown sugar, 1 TBS. at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy. Spread over mixture in pan; sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup almonds .

Bake until meringue is set and light brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool and cut into bars 3" X 1", Makes about 36 bars.

Prep.: 25 min. Cooking: 40 min. Inactive: 25 min. Total: 1 hour and 30 min.

Author: MINE
Source: From a flour bag I think.

Recipe Type: Almonds, Chocolate, Coconut, Cookies, Desserts, Meringue
  Re: Re: Self Rising Flour by Cubangirl (Here are the cookies...)
Erin, here are a couple of ideas. I remember posting about the BBQ Bean Bread I made a while back and we really liked it - different.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BARBECUE BEAN BREAD

1 cup warm water
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/3 cup molasses
1 T. paprika -- (1 to 2)
2 tsp. salt
2 pkgs. Active dry yeast
2 cups barbecue beans -- (1-lb. can)
5 cups Pillsbury all purpose flour -- (5 to 5 1/2)

Oven 375 F. Makes 2 loaves

Generously grease bottom and sides of two 9X5 or 8X4-inch loaf pans.

In a large mixer bowl, combine all ingredients except flour.
Blend at low speed until thoroughly combined.

Add 2 1/2 cups flour; blend at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
By hand, stir in remaining flour to form a stiff dough (I just added it to the K.A. and mixed it up. Also used the dough hook for 5 minutes)

Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes.
Place in greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise 45-60 minutes.

Punch down dough; divide in half and shape each into a loaf. Place in prepared pans.
Cover; let rise another 45-60 min. Bake at 375 F. for 50 to 60 minutes, until a deep golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pans to cool.

Pillsbury note: for use with Pillsbury Self-Rising flour, omit salt.

Description:
"From the 21st (1970) Pillsbury Bake Off Cookbook - great with 3-Sister's stew"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's one Maryann posted a while back - I guess you can do just about any of your recipes calling for flour and omit the salt...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Potato Refrigerator Dough

1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (105º to 115º)
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 cup lukewarm mashed potatoes*
6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour** (6 1/2 to 7 cups)

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar, salt, shortening, eggs, potatoes and 4 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover bowl tightly; refrigerate at least 8 hours but no longer than 5 days. Punch down dough. Shape, let rise and bake as directed.

Yield: 10 1/3 cups

Notes: *Instant mashed potatoes can be substituted for the mashed potatoes; prepare as directed on package for 2 servings

**If using self-rising flour, omit salt.

Categories: Breads

Copyright: © General Mills, Inc. 1998.

This is identical to the one my mom used over 40 years ago. Tried and true. Enjoy!

Maryann

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26023&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And here’s one I’m working on for next book -

Deep Fried Beef Bites

2 lbs. cooked roast beef, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, set aside
6 T. milk
1 T. all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
-----
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Peanut oil for deep frying

Combine milk and flour; stir into eggs in one bowl. Combine self-rising flour, salt and pepper in another.

Dip roast beef chunks in egg mixture and dredge in flour mixture. Fry in hot deep fat until browned and heated through. Drain on absorbent paper towels and serve hot.

So far I’ve served them with a blue cheese dressing, honey mustard, horseradish sauce/dip and all have been really good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Self Rising Flour by cjs (Erin, here are a cou...)
Thanks - the recipe I made was good, but not spectacular. SO may or may not make them again. These will help me use up that flour!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.