San Bernardino Visit to Denise
  Re: (...)
What a fun day we had yesterday - first off, before I get to our visit with Denise and Derek (because they are still working....not retired yet! ), let me tell you about our foray around their town. I googled some of my favorite types of shops/places and found some to explore. A couple were busts, but these two were really fun.

Viet Hung Seafood Market - just a little hole in the wall, that most folks in their right minds would not go into, but once you're in, oh my all the goodies they have!! They have tanks for fresh oysers, clams, lobsters, AND (pay attention, Daphne) catfish! Gorgeous, about 2 pounders just swimming around. I'd have given my eyeteeth to have gotten a couple, they looked so good!

Then, on to Mardi Gras Restaurant, whose description when I googled them mentioned "...whole catfish, catfish filet, Po Boys, Greens, Yams, Chicken & Waffles Gizzards, Cajun Chicken Etouffee, Jambalaya, Oysters, Frog legs, and much more." When I saw that I knew we had to go.

Another little dive, but oh the food was so good. Roy had the Jambalaya (with chicken & sausage) and I had, what else, deep fried whole catfish and hushpuppies. Died and gone to heaven. The seasoning on the catfish and in the hushpuppies was just perfectly spicy.
[Image: CIMG0157.jpg]

The place was too busy to try and talk to the two felllows who are owners/partners/chefs, but maybe next time we'll go in earlier. There are so many other dishes I want to try there!

Then we met up with Denise and Derek and had a wonderful visit, as usual - it's hard when four people want to talk at the same time, but we managed. Too short a visit, but they had to work today, so we didn't linger too awfully long. I hope you all get to meet them one day - they are just a great couple.

[Image: CIMG0158-1.jpg]

Hope we can stop and see them on the way back, but time will be the factor..... Thanks, Denise & Derek for a great visit!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: San Bernardino Visit to Denise by cjs (What a fun day we ha...)
Jean, I can't believe you restrained yourself! But at least you got to eat one...LOL! What a great picture of the four of you! I just know you had a great visit!

And no, you're not confused...today IS Thursday. The cold temps and wet weather met up later in the morning than expected, so they called school for the day. Actually, I would have preferred to go in late, so we wouldn't have to make it up.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: San Bernardino Visit to Denise by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I can't believ...)
Good for you, Daphne - have a great day!! Are either of the kids still home? If so, have fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: San Bernardino Visit to Denise by cjs (Good for you, Daphne...)
Sadly, no, I'm all alone with nothing and no one to play with.
Daphne
  Re: Re: San Bernardino Visit to Denise by Gourmet_Mom (Sadly, no, I'm all a...)
Sounds like a great time. I loved hosting that little get together here and meeting some of you all! Denise - what happened to the red hair???? (am I supposed to mention that? )

You all look great!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: San Bernardino Visit to Denise by cjs (What a fun day we ha...)
Jean that sounds like a perfect day!

It looks like the four of you were having a great time! Wish we could have been there to visit too. Oh well - the day will come!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: San Bernardino Visit to Denise by Harborwitch (Jean that sounds lik...)
Lol Erin!! I decided to let it grow out and see what it would look like. I've been coloring it for about 25 years now and so tired of it. Lo and Behold I have silver hair. I knew it was gray... a lot...but had no idea how gray lol!

I think it's so cute that Roy and Derek have the same hair style too
  Re: Re: San Bernardino Visit to Denise by DFen911 (Lol Erin!! I decided...)
It's so funny! I noticed that the boys looked like they were related, and the girls did, too! Too cute!
Daphne
  Re: Re: San Bernardino Visit to Denise by Gourmet_Mom (It's so funny! I no...)
Everyone looks wonderful! What a nice evening.
  Re: Re: San Bernardino Visit to Denise by Trixxee (Everyone looks wonde...)
Tracie just said Denise looks like me 20-30 years ago..... I take that as a high compliment.

Erin, Denise's new hair color is so soft and so sophiscated looking...and then she opens her mouth. (I'M KIDDING!!!! )
www.achefsjourney.com