C@H recipe - New York Cheesecake
  Re: (...)
Hi all,

I have a partial printed-out recipe from C@H for New York Cheesecake, but it is missing some pages. I have the first two pages, then a page which contains Steps 7-9, and two more pages with Steps 13-18 (end.) Does anyone have the pages with the missing steps??

Thanks,
HungryDad
  Re: C@H recipe - New York Cheesecake by HungryDad (Hi all,[br][br]I hav...)
OH MY! You picked a good one! This is my go to dessert to impress! Here's the recipe with notes from others on here. (An example of how much I LOVE this recipe...I forgot to welcome you to the boards! I hope you will join us in our chats about recipes! We don't get newbies who stay around very often!)

* Exported from MasterCook *

New York Cheesecake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Baked Goods

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup pecans -- toasted and finely chopped
1/4 cup unsalted butter -- melted
3 tablespoons sugar
7 packages cream cheese -- (8 oz. each) softened
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350°. Toast pecans on baking sheet for 15 min., or until golden. Cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300°.

Combine cracker crumbs and pecans in food processor until fine. Set aside 2 T.

Add butter and sugar to processor. Pulse to blend. Spray sides and bottom of cake pan with Pam®. Trace and cut out round of parchment to fit pan. Line bottom with parchment circle. Spray parchment and sides again. Make sure the pan is greased well so the cake doesn’t stick to the sides and crack during baking. Sprinkle reserved 2 T. crumbs around sides of pan. Tilt and tap pan to distribute crumbs evenly. It’ll be a light dusting of crumbs. With rubber spatula, press remaining crumb-butter mixture onto bottom of pan. Begin heating water for water bath.

Cream together cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl frequently during mixing so that no lumps remain.

Blend in sour cream. Mix just to blend. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl frequently during mixing to remove lumps.

Bake at 300° for 2–2 1/4 hrs. or until top is golden and cake is set around edges. It’ll be jiggly in the center but will cook while it cools. Remove cake from roaster and set on cooling rack. Run knife around sides to loosen. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight. To unmold, run knife around sides again. Place inverted plate on cake and flip. Rap plate on counter and lift pan, shaking gently to release. Remove parchment from crust. Place serving plate on crust and invert again. Carefully remove top plate.

Source:
"(Cuisine, June 1998, Issue 9, p. 42)"

NOTES : Magazine ammendment:

Q. I was excited to see the New York Cheesecake featured in Issue 9. I followed the recipe exactly, but had extra batter. What went wrong?

A. Gina from New York and other loyal readers called me about their problem. My head’s hanging so low in shame, I can hardly type this apology. I inadvertently gave you the wrong pan dimensions—the right size should’ve read 8" across by 3 1/2" high, not 3".

Jean's comments: Baker that I'm not, I'd probably have a couple mini-cheesecake pans handy for the 'overflow' and not mess with the filling quantities.

HomeCulinarian: The raspberry glaze is excellent, too.

It's 14 oz frozen red raspberries, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 cup red wine, 10 oz jar red currant jelly. Combine raspberries, sugar and wine in sauce pan over medium heat. Crush thawed raspberries with back of a spoon. Strain the raspberry juice through a fine sieve, discard seeds. Return juice to sacuepan and simmer over medium heat about 25 minutes until reduced to 1/2 cup. Wisk in currant jelly until melted. Cool to room temp.

The suggestion is to use 1/4 cup of the raspberry glaze on top of cheese cake leaving a 1/2" margin around edge. Randomly arrange 3 cups assorted fresh berries on top. It's pictured on the back of issue no. 9. Love it!!!

Me: I have made this numerous times and use a 9" pan with no problem. It just takes a few minutes longer to cook. I have also done it in an 8 1/2 inch and fearful of overflow (wouldn't have happened...know that now), used Jean's suggestion of making minis. LOVED the minis! I LOVE this recipe and get compliments every time I serve it. My family request it every time we have a family gathering.

Over Thanksgiving 2010, I used the syrup from the Ruby Sippers recipe and everyone thought it was FABULOUS!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: C@H recipe - New York Cheesecake by Gourmet_Mom (OH MY! You picked a...)
Welcome to the forum, HungryDad. Hope you enjoy the cheesecake.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: C@H recipe - New York Cheesecake by labradors (Welcome to the forum...)
Hey, HungryDad! That's our favorite cheesecake recipe. Hubby makes it for my bday about every year! Let us know how you like it.
  Re: Re: C@H recipe - New York Cheesecake by HomeCulinarian (Hey, HungryDad! Tha...)
Welcome to the forum, HungryDad. Hope you will join in the fun and stick around. Everyone is very nice here and you will pick up a lot of new recipes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: C@H recipe - New York Cheesecake by Mare749 (Welcome to the forum...)
Welcome HungryDad - when you get out of the kitchen from making the cheesecake, stop by again!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: C@H recipe - New York Cheesecake by cjs (Welcome HungryDad - ...)
Thanks GourmetMom, labradors, HomeCulinarian, Mare749 and cjs for such a warm welcome! And especially GourmetMom for the recipe fix. I will make it this weekend and invite you all.

Happy spatula licking,
HungryDad
  Re: Re: C@H recipe - New York Cheesecake by HungryDad (Thanks GourmetMom, l...)
Quote:

Thanks GourmetMom, labradors, HomeCulinarian, Mare749 and cjs for such a warm welcome! And especially GourmetMom for the recipe fix. I will make it this weekend and invite you all.

Happy spatula licking,
HungryDad

Hey guy--Labs and I need some company--we love being with all these wonderful gals, but sometimes it's a little intimadating!! We need somebody else for Jean to send to their room. We miss Billy. Come around more often.