Our Thanksgiving Saturday was PERFECT!
  Re: (...)
This was such a wonderful Thanksgiving. The more I do holidays at my home, with my kids, the more I love it. Creating new traditions and such.

On Thursday we went to my dad's house. The guest list included: my dad, his wife, her son (who is my age, and no job, no car, no place to live unless he has a girlfriend to support him), his newest 19 year old girlfriend, and the son's daughter who is 16 (yes, the son's girlfriend is only three years older than his daughter), me, hubby, Maggie and Joe. With all the confusing relations aside, I was disappointed that we all didn't sit together, nobody said grace, or acknowledged what they are thankful for. My dad stood and ate his entire meal WHILE the food was being set out. He was completely done eating before anyone had even gotten a plate of food. I thought, "Why the he!! did we drive all the way up here?!!! To watch my dad stand and eat?!?! This is NOT Thanksgiving." To me, it was just wierd.

On Saturday I cooked and cooked. My housed was filled with wonderful aromas. Sure the kids fought once in a while, but daddy was there to referee. Here was the menu:

Thanksgiving Menu
Turkey
Stuffing(my famous stuffing that my hubby just loves!)
Mashed Potatoes (with cream and butter)
Gravy (used Rachael Ray's easy gravy recipe, perfect)
Creamed corn (recipe from (C@H holiday book)
Brussel Sprouts with gorgonzola cream sauce (C@H #84)
Dinner Rolls with butter (made fresh that morning)
Pineapple Crisp with Ice Cream (Jean's Recipe)

I will do this whole menu over again. Everything was just delightful and the turkey was absolutely perfect.

I set up a nice buffet, everyone filled their plates, my mom and her hubby were there. We sat down at the dinner table, together. My kids said the dinner blessing that I taught to their Sunday school class:

Thanksgiving Prayer

Heavenly Father, on Thanksgiving Day
We bow our hearts to You and pray.
We give You thanks for all You've done
Especially for the gift of Jesus, Your Son.
Amen

It was precious and sweet. Everyone ate and had seconds. Everyone LOVED the pineapple crisp too! Thank you Jean. (And it is just perfect the way it is, I would not change a thing. I didn't even add coconut.)

Is it possible to find a way to have the holidays at my home ALL the time??? It was really so great. I never want to go anywhere ever again.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Our Thanksgiving Saturday was PERFECT! by luvnit (This was such a wond...)
I'm so glad you had a great holiday, and that you are establishing meaningful traditions for your children. Mine seem to appreciate those traditions more as they get older, so it does pay off!

I'm off to check out the creamed corn and Brussels sprouts recipes. I'm always trying to expand the veggie options!
  Re: Re: Our Thanksgiving Saturday was PERFECT! by karyn (I'm so glad you had ...)
I have done that creamed corn two years in a row and everyone loves it. With the cheese it's really more of a gratin.
Laura
  Re: Re: Our Thanksgiving Saturday was PERFECT! by luvnit (I have done that cre...)
I'm so glad the Pineapple crisp was a hit with the family. We all really need to thank my aunt, tho - she found it and sent it to me. Bless her heart.

What a wonderful day Saturday must have been for you all, Laura. And, you bet, the kids will remember and love the traditions you set in place now. Mine are in their 40s & 50s (geez, really????? ) and traditions are everythng to them.

Maybe a visit to your Dad's was just the thing needed to make your family holidays so important to you. Your menu sounds great - and why mess with a winner, huh?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Our Thanksgiving Saturday was PERFECT! by luvnit (This was such a wond...)
Laura it sounds like your Thanksgiving Saturday was perfect.

I don't know what to say about your Dad . . . uhm I was just a few years younger than my oldest step-son . . . once upon a time.

I love the tradition of loading the table, and the whole family sitting down together for the meal and sharing the reasons we're thankful.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Our Thanksgiving Saturday was PERFECT! by Harborwitch (Laura it sounds like...)
What a wonderful Thanksgiving no matter what the day The main thing was you got to be with family, share a wonderful meal and enjoy time together.

It's fun to make new traditions!
  Re: Re: Our Thanksgiving Saturday was PERFECT! by Harborwitch (Laura it sounds like...)
Laura, what a wonderful day for you and your family. The menu sounds fabulous and it also sounds like you pulled it off with ease. (and cooking all day!) I would love to see RR's easy gravy recipe if you wouldn't mind posting it when you have time.

I'm with you all the way as far as having holiday meals at home. Most times I prefer it that way as well, but when a family member really wants to host it, I usually cave in. My MIL had T-day this year and it was wonderful. But, I do have a turkey in the freezer to cook when Ron gets back from "the hunt."

Thanks for sharing your story. I have a bundle of those in my personal journal. Some of them are so funny (to us) that it only takes one word to bring back the memory. One of my Thanksgiving stories is titled, "Sweet Potatoes!" It's meant to poke fun (and vent) something that happened a few years ago that made me angry. It also helped me change my mind-set and simplifly holiday meals.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Our Thanksgiving Saturday was PERFECT! by Mare749 (Laura, what a wonder...)
Here you go! I doubled this recipe and did it about an hour before the turkey was done so I didn't have to do it last minute. I know on the show she added some worchestershire for taste and browning. I added some browning sauce for that.

Rachael Ray Easy Gravy
3 tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups turkey or chicken stock
Palmful poultry seasoning or dried ground sage
Salt and pepper
Worchestershire or browning for taste and color
Chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish, optional

Preparation
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and sprinkle with flour. Let bubble for 30 seconds and slowly whisk in stock until smooth. Bring to a simmer and add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until thickened.
Laura
  Re: Re: Our Thanksgiving Saturday was PERFECT! by luvnit (Here you go! I doubl...)
Laura, I am so glad you planned this for your family. What a great menu and a great tradition! I started having holidays at my house about 10 years ago...with the exception of one Christmas and this past Thanksgiving. I had hoped this Thanksgiving would not be a repeat of the disaster of the Christmas several years ago. I should have known it would be no different.

I can assure that was the LAST time we celebrate a holiday away from home. (Although, we will be going to the mountains for a second Christmas celebration this year. But that doesn't count. We'll still have the regular celebration at home. There will just be a second celebration later. AND I'll still be doing the cooking, just in another location.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Our Thanksgiving Saturday was PERFECT! by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, I am so glad ...)
Laura, your Saturday Thanksgiving sounded just perfect!
We also did that same thing, and it was quite enjoyable. I would have rather been with my family on the actual holiday, but Christmas is coming up...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com