Lobster Macaroni & Cheese
  Re: (...)
This from Saveur, Vol. 129, and is served at Macbar, a Manhattan restaurant whose menu lists a dozen mac & cheese variations. It was delicious, but not as "lobster rich" as I expected. Next time I will add more lobster and broth than the recipe calls for.

Kosher salt to taste
12 oz elbow macaroni

4T unsalted butter
1/4 C flour
4 C milk (whole)
11 oz grated fontina (4C)
8 oz mascarpone (1C)
3 T lobster or fish broth
3 T brandy
1 t hot sauce (Crystal or Tabasco)
1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 oz cooked lobster meat cut into 1 inch chunks
1/3 C minced chives
2 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
2 oz grated aged sharp white cheddar (1C)

1. Heat oven to 375. Bring a 4qt saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked halfway thru, about 3 min. Drain pasta, transfer to a bowl and set aside. Reserve pasta water to refresh pasta if needed.

2. Melt butter in a 4qt saucepan over med heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly until smooth, about 1 min. Whisk in milk and cook,whisking often, until sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 min. Remove pan from heat and stir in 2 C Fontina, along with the mascarpone, broth, brandy, hot sauce, and nutmeg: season with salt & pepper. Add reserved pasta to cheese sauce (refresh with pasta water before adding if necessery). Stir in half each of the lobster, chives, and scallions. Transfer mixture to a 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle with remaining fontina and cheddar. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 min. Let cool for 10 min. Garnish with remaining lobster, scallions and chives.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Lobster Macaroni & Cheese by Old Bay (This from Saveur, Vo...)
Did you see Bobby Flay's Lobster Mac'n'Cheese Throwdown last night? The winner used mascarpone cheese too!

I saved it on my DVR, I want to make it. I will use this as a reference too.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Lobster Macaroni & Cheese by Old Bay (This from Saveur, Vo...)
Well it sure sounds good.

RR just did a crab cake mac & cheese. If we get some leftover crab I might try it - it looked really good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Lobster Macaroni & Cheese by Harborwitch (Well it sure sounds ...)
Good Lord, you had me at the title!!! and crab cake mac & cheese? In trouble now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lobster Macaroni & Cheese by cjs (Good Lord, you had m...)
Thanks for the recipe and tips, Bill. This sounds great!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.