Giving Back To The Community
  Re: (...)
Last night was the first ever fundraiser for our local free clinic. They sold small Christmas that folks decorated, then sold them at a silent auction. It was held at the William Cox Inn, a local B&B owned by the Founder/Director of the clinic. What a gorgeous 18th century farmhouse that has been added on to. Our reason for doing the food pro bono was twofold, they were there for me this past year when I needed them, and we had food we wanted to move. She has a commercial kitchen (Garland stove, grill etc, and a Garland convection oven). Here was our menu:

Pulled Pork on Cornbread Crostini (my takeoff on 18 hour bread)
Goat Cheese Mousse with Fig/Black Olive Tapenade in Filo Cups
Brie/Peacan Crostini
Smoked Salmon Mousse on Rye Bread Rounds
Roasted Pork Loin with Mostarda (He's still playing with this recipe, but it is great)
Carrot Ginger Soup
Sweet Potato/Apple Soup @ semi dry Reisling
Cheese display with breads/crackers, 2 kinds of house marinated olives, and nuts
Pecan Balls, Kouribiades, 2 kinds of brownies
Sangria, Mulled Cider, Sweet Tes

What a fun evening. The servers/bartenders were all volunteers. Folks ate everything in sight. They were still tallying up when we left, but I sure hope they made lots of money. It was a long ride home. It's only 15 minutes in daylight, but at 11pm when you are in the wilderness, no lights, country rounds, one way little bridges, it took way longer. Luckily, I had doggie bags of food in the van for us.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Giving Back To The Community by Lorraine (Last night was the f...)
What a lovely thing to do, Lorraine! The menu sounds wonderful. And you never know when one of those that attended might need a caterer. Pay it forward!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Giving Back To The Community by Gourmet_Mom (What a lovely thing ...)
What a great 'give back' Lorraine & Gil - good on you both.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Giving Back To The Community by cjs (What a great 'give b...)
Lorraine that is just wonderful! We do a thing for Family Services and gather food for entire meals. But I would so love to cook for someone like you guys did. It's such a personal way to give back and help out. **applauds**
  Re: Giving Back To The Community by Lorraine (Last night was the f...)
Lorraine that sounds so wonderful and such a fantastic way to give back. It feels especially good to give back to a group that has touched your life.

A tip of the hat to you & Gil.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Giving Back To The Community by Harborwitch (Lorraine that sounds...)
We took a turkey, cooked and sliced, to a local church to give to a homeless or unemployed person or family. Quite satisfying.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Giving Back To The Community by Old Bay (We took a turkey, co...)
We do a Food Bank of New Jersey thing at work here, but the Managers haven't done it this year.

I'll have to work out something with the next-door neighbors that still are very active in their church.

Barbara<~~~not very spiritual, but still thinks of others...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Giving Back To The Community by BarbaraS (We do a Food Bank of...)
For those who Facebook, he posted some pictures on our "About You Catering" page. The trees look great. Food doesn't look bad either.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Giving Back To The Community by Lorraine (For those who Facebo...)
Oh Lorraine, what a wonderful thing to do, to help raise money for the clinic! I can't wait to go on FB and look at the pics. As usual, the food sounds amazing!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Giving Back To The Community by Mare749 (Oh Lorraine, what a ...)
Okay, I got to the company site, but didn't see any photos. I clicked the link on Gil's Info page. Did I not go to the right place?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.