Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
  Re: (...)
There was a discussion a few days ago about ideas for doing this. I just read another idea to add to the list, but don't know where the discussion was - the turkey day thread???

Anyway, this sounded interesting. Use whatever favorite base gravy (any make ahead recipe you've found) and at the last minute when you have turkey drippings, just add some of it to your gravy.

On one hand, I think this is a good way to add some great turkey flavor to the gravy, but on the other hand, the gravy may miss something in flavor by not having been cooked with the drippings. Since I'm having roasted/smoked duck, I can't play with this this year.

Just thought I'd pass this along.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Make Ahead Turkey Gravy by cjs (There was a discussi...)
McCormick's Gravy is my "go-to" gravy. I use it all the time because I think the flavor tastes the most natural, if you will. I do exactly what cjs (sorry not familiar w/ names yet) suggested by adding meat drippings to the gravy. I do that all the time. My sister makes gravy w/ flour, water & turkey drippings, the old fashion way, I guess? However, it lacks that little punch of flavor that I like in my gravy. Maybe McCormick's isn't the best, but for a novice like me, it works. I am always open to suggestions, though, to make a better gravy.
  Re: Make Ahead Turkey Gravy by cjs (There was a discussi...)
Jean,

The recipe is posted on the Thanksgiving thread. The C@H recipe has you roast turkey parts with vegies and then make a stock out of that. Then make the gravy. It is not quite the same as made from the turkey gravy - but still good and a lot easier when you are trying to put dinner together for 20 people. Then, I save all the drippings and make gravy for our family later.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Make Ahead Turkey Gravy by esgunn (Jean, [br][br]The re...)
OMG, my Mom used to make the most awesome gravy! That's when she cooked T-Day dinner.

She would boil the gizzards and innards, pick some pieces apart, and then use the water the potatoes were boiled in to mix with her water/flour thickener.

I was the one who had to stir, stir, stir this all in the pan the turkey roasted - and all the leavings, bastings and bits - until all was well mixed and smooth as could be. It never lumped, congealed, or skinned when it cooled as we ate, but then again, My family of ten finished off a 25 lb bird with sides in 10 minutes one year! Mom just sat there at the table mumbling "Where did it all go?".

Never mind the caloric content, this was REAL GRAVY!!

And yes, we did the dishes and she never had to step back into the kitchen again that night, unless she wanted another scootch of dessert.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Make Ahead Turkey Gravy by BarbaraS (OMG, my Mom used to ...)
Giblet gravy, Barbara! That's Mom's specialty, also! As a matter of fact, as I was reading this, I was talking to DD about T dinner. She REALLY wants dinner at Mom's to be lunch so she can get to BF's family home to see family from out of state at dinner time. I told her that if Mom can't get dinner in time, she could just duck out. She said, "NOOOOO!" Their turkey is not as moist, their dressing is strange, and they don't do Nana's gravy! (They're New Yorkers)

So now it's my responsibility to see that Mom gets food on the table by 3pm! (A monumental task, I tell you!) DD even volunteered to make a couple of dishes if it would help. Poor child...she's desperate for that gravy!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.