Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup question
  Re: (...)
Okay, I don't mean to be a snob, but I LIKE making my own cream sauces. Tomorrow night's dinner, Chicken Balsamico, calls for a can of Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup. Now I could buy the canned stuff, but whipping up a béchamel is so easy. Why couldn't I add some chicken base to some béchamel and get the same thing?

A funny side note, Red held up a can of the condensed soup and asked how many of the audience had some version of the soup in their pantry. The girl next to me held up her hand and said, "Who doesn't?" I laughed and said, "I don't." She looked at me like I was crazy! To be honest, I don't have anything against the stuff, I used it for MANY years. It's just that now that I know how to make my own without much fuss, I don't see the point.

I feel the need to point out when this realization hit me. I had made many versions of the chicken pot pie recipes floating around out there. Then one day, I came across a recipe that didn't use the "soup". I tried it mostly because it is made with a bottom and top crust...which I have always liked. I fell in love! I make this pie regularly on a weeknight, and my family never grows tired of it.

To be honest, this recipe is what makes me I think I could make the Chicken Balsamico without the canned soup.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup question by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I don't mean t...)
Sounds like a winner to me. I get the same look from people when I say that I've never used a boxed cake mix or store-bought pie crust. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup question by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I don't mean t...)
You can make your own--we have a 10 pack of Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup in our pantry, no chicken soup. We use it to make King Ranch Chicken and while we have made fresh green bean casserole, my son Bert loves his mothers version using canned beans and cream of mushroom soup--we make it once a year for him. It's not bad, and it's really ok. Bechemel is so easy, Campbell can even do it. I'm ok either way. Making sauce is fun, but bechemel is not rocket science so if you need a quickie, let Campbell do it.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup question by labradors (Sounds like a winner...)
Quote:

Sounds like a winner to me. I get the same look from people when I say that I've never used a boxed cake mix or store-bought pie crust. LOL!

We don't do that either. Did you know some people use potatoes out of a box?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup question by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Daphne I think I posted some recipes from a North Dakota cookbook for "cream of" soup homemade subs.

If you can't find it, oh wait - I think I gave Jean the cookbook with the recipes in it. I'll be home tomorrow late afternoon if I didn't.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup question by Harborwitch (Daphne I think I pos...)
Sharon, I didn't see it. I'm going to go with the idea from the Chicken Pot Pie recipe tomorrow for my dish tomorrow night. But if you would pull up that thread, I'd appreciate it. I can't believe I didn't save the thread. Off to see if I saved it to favorites. I'm terrible about saving things to that and never checking back.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup question by Gourmet_Mom (Sharon, I didn't see...)
Is THIS the one?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup question by labradors (Sounds like a winner...)
Not sure if I have posted this one before, but this recipe makes some of the best chicken I've had. FWIW, I automatically pass on recipes that called for condensed cream of chicken soup (you can always make Chicken Velouté, reduced chicken stock, butter roux, etc.) instead), and since I tested CI's version of cream of mushroom soup, I don't used that one canned either. I always super reduce some of my homemade chicken stock to use in sauces. Anyway if you have a hankering for balsamic chicken try this one, super easy and sooo good.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

CHICKEN AND MUSHROOMS WITH BALSAMIC VINEGAR*****

I had only defrosted 4 of the Costco prepackaged boneless, skinless with the tenderloins still attached, so I separated those and sliced the breasts a bit to flatten them and all pieces cooked evenly. After I started I realized that I only had ½ lb of whole mushrooms and ½ lb of presliced (I normally only buy whole ones at Costco). Anyway I sliced the whole ones and it turned out great. I smashed the whole garlic pieces after they were soft. DH did not detect the vinegar flavor until after I told him. His comment was to make more sauce next time, he liked it so much.

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts halves
2 TBS. flour
kosher salt
black pepper
1 TBS. olive oil
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 lb. mushrooms, halved if large
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp. fresh thyme

Season flour with salt and pepper.

Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.

Heat oil over medium-high heat in large heavy skillet, add chicken and cook for 3 minutes or until brown on one side.

Add garlic, turn over chicken, and scatter mushrooms over chicken. Cook about 3 minutes, shaking skillet to distribute mushrooms. Add vinegar, broth, bay leaf, and thyme.

Cover skillet tightly and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, turning chicken once as it cooks. Uncover skillet, transfer chicken to serving platter, and cover with foil to keep warm.

In uncovered skillet, cook mushrooms over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes. Remove bay leaf, and pour mushrooms and sauce over chicken.

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Author: Jane Brody’s Good Food Gourmet
Source: CI BB chipotle gloria
Web Page: http://www.americastestkitchen.com/ibb/p...p=1#160860

Recipe Type: Chicken, Cooks Illustrated, Main Dish, Mushrooms

If you make it, please let me know how you like it.

CI also did a classic Thanksgiving green bean casserole but with a real mushroom sauce. I can post the sauce recipe if anyone wants it.
  Re: Re: Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup question by Cubangirl (Not sure if I have p...)
I am very well known at another chat board I've been a member of for about 12 years now for disliking the use of "cream of crap" in anything. LOL.

That said, just yesterday I bought 4 boxes of Betty Crocker au gratin potatoes. Between the buy two, get two free sale, my $1.00 off 2 coupon and a 50 cents off 2 coupon, I couldn't pass up the 50 cent a box cost.
  Re: Re: Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup question by Trixxee (I am very well known...)
When I was working, I would always make sure I left some lumps in my mashed potatoes so no one thought they were 'doctored' instant!!

Using a bechamel or veloute (or any mother sauce) as a start, I agree with you Daphne, it is so easy and fast to just make use of the small sauces from the mother.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com