Braised Beef with Barolo
  Re: (...)
Made this for Ron and my dad on Thursday evening. This is always a sad week for all of us as my mom passed away on Halloween. It's been 18 years now, but you never stop missing someone as special as my mom was. So, I honor her by making a special meal for my dad.

This is one that I know for sure she would have loved and believe me, we all did! It was just wonderful and we all had such a nice relaxing evening, talking about old times and great memories. I am always grateful to still have dad around to share his stories from years ago.

Anyway, here is the recipe, as requested by Daphne. As a side note, I could not find an affordable Barolo, so used a Cabernet my brother had sent, and it worked just fine. Also, did not use all the fat for browning that was called for, just used 1 T. butter, and 1 T. olive oil. We never missed the rest.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Braised Beef with Barolo

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/4 pounds beef eye of round or another fairly lean cut
3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons prosciutto fat -- chopped
pinch of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon rum -- optional
salt
FOR THE MARINADE:
1 bottle (3 cups) Barolo
2 carrots -- sliced
2 onions -- sliced
1 stalk celery -- sliced
4 fresh sage leaves
1 small fresh rosemary sprig
1 bay leaf
10 black peppercorns
salt

Tie the meat neatly with kitchen string, place in a dish and pour in the wine for the marinade. Add carrots, onions, celery, sage, rosemary, bay leaf, peppercorns, and a pinch of salt and let marinate for 6-7 hours. Drain the meat, reserving the marinade, and pat dry with paper towels.

Heat the oil, butter and prosciutto fat in a pan, add the meat and cook over high heat, turning frequently, until browned all over. Season with salt, pour in the reserved marinade, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until tender.

Remove the meat from the pan, untie and carve. Arrange the slices, slightly overlapping, on a warm serving dish. Discard the herbs from the cooking liquid and pass it through a food mill, then stir in the cocoa and rum, if using. Pour the sauce over the meat and serve.

Source: The Silver Spoon
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Braised Beef with Barolo by Mare749 (Made this for Ron an...)
Maryann,

Thank you for telling the story that goes along with this recipe. So sorry about your mom and how sweet that you honor her memory every year. Sounds like a wonderful tradition and a wonder recipe to boot.

What did you serve with it. I really want to try it. The cocoa and rum sound really interesting.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Braised Beef with Barolo by luvnit (Maryann,[br][br]Than...)
Thank you, Laura. I cooked more carrots separately to serve as a side, red potatoes mashed, and frozen white corn. Ron just loves his corn and mashed potatoes with gravy!

The vegetables from the roasting pot were enough to thicken up the gravy in the blender. I forgot to make bread, so bought some Italian bread from a bakery, but did have homemade gingersnap cookies.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Braised Beef with Barolo by Mare749 (Thank you, Laura. [i...)
Oh Maryann, chokes me up a little... just keep that little old dad so close while you have him!!! And your mom was sitting up there watching over you all all day, I'll bet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Braised Beef with Barolo by cjs (Oh Maryann, chokes m...)
Teary-eyed here also. Thanks for sharing your story and the recipe, Maryann. What a special dinner. I love the recipe. In the dinner thread, I forgot to mention that I wanted to do something special tomorrow night and plan menus for next week. I think this will be our special dinner for tomorrow night if I can get it on to marinate in time. If not, it's going on the menu for next weekend. I'll be sure to toast your mom and your lovely family when I serve it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Braised Beef with Barolo by Gourmet_Mom (Teary-eyed here also...)
Maryann - what a special recipe for a special occasion!
  Re: Re: Braised Beef with Barolo by HomeCulinarian (Maryann - what a spe...)
I saw this post and was so touched. A tradition of honor.
I used the same recipe with the roast called for--it was a failure--I will use a chuck roast next time--what cut did you use? Did the eye of round work? I've been so busy, I wanted to say the right thing and did not get back to it . Great tradition, and congratulations on a succesful beef barolo!! My best to your family!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Braised Beef with Barolo by Old Bay (I saw this post and ...)
I missed this post last weekend - sounds like a wonderful meal and though a sad occasion your dad must have been very happy to be with you and remember your mom.
  Re: Re: Braised Beef with Barolo by Old Bay (I saw this post and ...)
What a heartwarming story - and a heartwarming meal! Sounds oh so wonderful.

Maryann I'm sending you hugs, losing a Mom is so hard - mine's been gone a little over a year. Sometimes it feels like yesterday.

Not to hijack - but, when we were up in WA at my Nephew's we talked about using Mom's recipe cards, her favorite cookbooks, photographs, and everyone's memories to put together a family cookbook. I'm looking forward to the project.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Braised Beef with Barolo by Mare749 (Made this for Ron an...)
Oh, I forgot to say that Jane & I are both orphans--enjoy your Dad while you have him--I miss my folks so much.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".