What's for Dinner, Tues. 11/2?
  Re: (...)
What's for dinner?

We're having roasted duck soft tacos with the leftover duck.

Oh my, the dinner was just wonderful yesterday - but my camera acted up and I couldn't get a picture of the 'picture perfect' duck. Dang. Here's the recipe, it's an old B.A. -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roast Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce Bon Appétit | December 1997 Upperline Restaurant, New Orleans LA - For sauce
1 5 pound duck -- fresh or frozen, thawed (neck, heart and gizzard reserved)
1 medium onion -- quartered
1 carrot -- coarsely chopped
1 celery stalk -- coarsely chopped
4 1/2 cups water
-----
2 tablespoons butter -- (1/4 stick)
6 large garlic cloves -- sliced
1 cup ruby Port
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
-----
For duck
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 large garlic cloves -- pressed
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Make sauce: Cut off duck wing tips at joint. Combine neck -- heart, gizzard and wing tips in large saucepan. Add onion, carrot and celery to pan. Add 4 1/2 cups water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Strain stock into medium saucepan. Boil stock until reduced to 1 cup, about 15 minutes.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced garlic and sauté until golden, about 2 minutes. Add Port and boil 5 minutes. Add reduced duck stock and boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 8 minutes. Mix remaining 1 tablespoon butter and flour in small bowl.

Whisk into sauce and simmer until thickened, about 1 minute. Season sauce with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before serving.)

Make duck: Preheat oven to 400°F. Trim excess fat from cavity of duck. Using fork, pierce duck skin in several places. Place duck, breast side up, on rack in large roasting pan. Brush soy sauce over duck. Mix mustard and pressed garlic in small bowl. Brush mustard mixture over duck.

Mix salt, pepper and thyme in another small bowl. Sprinkle spice-herb mixture over duck and in cavity. Roast duck 45 minutes. Turn duck and roast, breast side down, 30 minutes. Turn duck and roast, breast side up, until duck is deep golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer duck to platter. Serve with sauce.

Note: Made this for Father's day yesterday and what wonderful flavors. Will do this again, I'm sure. Overall a wonderful dinner. Roasted Garlic mashed potatoes - Spring greens with a Verjus vinaigrette. And a Barnard Griffin '07 Syrah rounded out the dinner nicely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My duck was smaller this time around, only ~2 1/2 lbs., so only roasted breast side down about 15 min. rather than the 30 minutes and it worked out well. I guess I'm bound to make this every Father's Day and B'day for a while.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Tues. 11/2? by cjs (What's for dinner?[b...)
Sounds wonderful, Jean. Too bad about your camera, you always get such great pictures with it.

Tonight we will be having Chicken Pho Ga and Mini Spring Rolls from Splendid Soups.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues. 11/2? by Mare749 (Sounds wonderful, Je...)
Cooking with a friend tonite. We're heading over to put the finishing touches on some wine we've collaborated with her hubby on.
She and I are planning to make the Vanilla Cider Pork with Pears from Issue 47.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues. 11/2? by Mare749 (Sounds wonderful, Je...)
The duck recipe sounds wonderful!

We are making a Bayless recipe using one of the salsas & beef over rice with a jicama salad.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues. 11/2? by farnfam (Cooking with a frien...)
I think something light with chicken and a salad. Might grill it on the "stupid grill"! I think some lighter food for a while is in order so maybe a grilled chicken Caesar salad.

Another busy day, I've been asked go photograph an event in town and an hour before that we have to take Walter to the vet. Better get off my butt and get moving.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues. 11/2? by Harborwitch (I think something li...)
I'd better print out todays menus - everything sounds so good and I'm ready to make them all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues. 11/2? by Harborwitch (I think something li...)
Quote:

Might grill it on the "stupid grill"!

What is the "stupid" grill? I'll be having leftver chicken and peanut sauce. Hubby is out for dinner. Michael told me he just wants rice and carrot sticks for dinner. Very hard to get this child to eat meat.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues. 11/2? by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Everyone's dinners sound wonderful! Nothing nearly as impressive here. I'm just pulling some chicken soup out of the freezer and making grilled cheese sandwiches.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues. 11/2? by karyn (Everyone's dinners s...)
Oh wow, these soft tacos with the l/o duck are just wonderful and so different.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roast Duck Soft Tacos

2 red bell peppers -- roasted and peeled (see Cook's Notes)
3 cups thinly sliced hearts of romaine (1 large head -- see Cook's Notes)
4 green onions -- including green tops, thinly sliced
16 corn tortillas
diced meat from 1/2 Roast Duck with Balsamic Glaze [or other cooked duck meat] (I tossed with a little of the Port-Garlic Sauce)
1 lime -- cut into 8 wedges
1 cup sour cream -- (1/2 pint)
1 cup prepared salsa

PreparationCut the peppers into thin slices. In a large serving bowl -- combine them with the romaine and green onions. Toss well.

Preheat an oven to 200°F. Place the tortillas in a covered heatproof container such as a tortilla warmer or a shallow casserole with a lid. Place the tortillas in the oven and heat for 20 minutes.

Place the duck meat, lime wedges, sour cream, and salsa in separate serving bowls. Let the diners spread a little sour cream on a tortilla, add a little salsa, a little duck, a little lettuce mixture, and squeeze a little lime juice over all. Roll and eat.

Description:
"Perfect to use leftover Roasted Duck with Port-Garlic Sauce"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I did about a 1/3 or 1/2 the ingredients called for. We each had 3 small tacos and they were just wonderful. I had done these before (Feb. 2004 - hate to rush things ) and had written wonderful on the recipe and they sure were - still!

And the lime just jumps every flavor up.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues. 11/2? by cjs (Oh wow, these soft t...)
Everyone's dinner sounds so good. I think I am dealing with flu number two from h#ll. I picked up one of those already roasted chickens at the store and am baking potatoes. Nothing tastes right and I want to put out of my misery......and just when I thought I was making a comeback
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!