Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon Review - CAH #83
  Re: (...)
Had a birthday "treats" day in the office today. I usually try a new recipe and try to work with ingredients I have on hand. Last night I was making the Roasted Butternut Squash with Penne recipe, and the Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon caught my eye. I had been scouring my books looking for something to make. Since I was cooking up bacon, and had the rest of the ingredients on hand, that's what I made.

These are strangely good! They were a hit at the office, dubbed bacon cake! The frosting is the best caramel frosting I've ever tasted. I'll make them again.
  Re: Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon Review - CAH #83 by HomeCulinarian (Had a birthday "trea...)
Bob and I have been eyeing those!!! Now that it's cooling off . . . baking is possible again. Now we have to get on the ball and get some more bacon goin'
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon Review - CAH #83 by Harborwitch (Bob and I have been ...)
I thought those looked pretty good too. Just waiting for an occasion to make them so I don't end up eating them all by myself.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon Review - CAH #83 by Mare749 (I thought those look...)
Those have been tempting me as well. Just about anything is better with bacon!
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon Review - CAH #83 by karyn (Those have been temp...)
Oh man, Maryann, make them and just send a few to me!!

That does sound so good. and so bad. I'd make a pig of myself also.

I'm in big trouble - a few weeks ago when someone posted about the shortage of pumpkin on store shelves, I really stocked up on cans of it.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon Review - CAH #83 by HomeCulinarian (Had a birthday "trea...)
Jeanette,
I was wondering if you could possibly help me out here, I made this last nite cake was fine, bacon perfect But the frosting turned out very dark and hard as a rock I had to turn my kitchen aide off and pull it out because it started harden to the whisk and bowl.
[Image: CaramelIcing.jpg]

A heck of a mess and even today my house still stinks like burnt caramel, had a friend taste this "chunk" and they said it tasted like "burnt caramel" Please can you tell me if the times they recommend on the boiling is what you did or any lil changes you might have made. Mom will be posting a picture to show how embarassingly I messed this up in case someone can figure out what I did wrong.
Thank You for any help.
Tracie

(Tracie's mama's note: I walked her thru the steps and because she had never made caramel before did exactly like it was written - including high heat thruout and the times, which can sometimes be a bugaboo.)
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon Review - CAH #83 by madmax (Jeanette,[br]I was w...)
That doesn't look good! I didn't cook the brown sugar and water as long as it said to. When the color started to turn darker, I added the cream and butter and cooked for another minute or two. Then, transferred the hot mix to the KA. I used the paddle rather than the whisk attachment by mistake, actually. Once it was cool, I added the cream cheese.

It sounds like you cooked it too hot and too long. Bummer!
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon Review - CAH #83 by HomeCulinarian (That doesn't look go...)
Tracie, don't feel bad. At least you tried it. Your results are the very reason I've never tried to make caramel before.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon Review - CAH #83 by Gourmet_Mom (Tracie, don't feel b...)
C'mon, Trace - you can beat one of the old broads at something!! Beat Daphne making caramel.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pumpkin Caramel Bars with Bacon Review - CAH #83 by cjs (C'mon, Trace - you c...)
Hey, who you calling old broad...LOL!?!?!?!

Meanwhile, I'm guessing Tracie will win this race. At least I hope so, she's my inspiration!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.