Where's Barbara? Sunday Dinner - 10/17??
  Re: Re: Where's Barbara? Sunday Dinner - 10/17?? by foodfiend (Did everyone have It...)
Cis, I would love to play with pasta like that! I really need to add ravioli to the weekend menu soon. I miss making pasta.

Vicci, what kind of pizza did you make? Did you grill it?

Well, the verdict is in on the Bulgogi...MINE is MUCH better! This one is okay, but it's just too sweet. I DO like the addition of the heat. I used Ron's favorite condiment (minus a teaspoon), hot chili sauce instead of the sambal, but other than that, I made it as written. I will be adding the chili sauce to my recipe, though.

Is that enough of a change to put that recipe in the contest? With adding the heat AND serving it over pasta?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Where's Barbara? Sunday Dinner - 10/17?? by Gourmet_Mom (Cis, I would love to...)
I have to look up the bulgogi, it doesn't sound familiar, but I've been in & out lately.

Here, pizza grilling is over until next summer. It's not only too chilly to go out and cook on the grill, but dark as well. I'll grill lunches for a few weeks, then the grids will be washed and it will be covered for a few months. Ah, winter (not)!

I had spaghetti sauce left over from a few days ago so I thickened it a bit and used that on the crust then topped with mozzarella, Italian turkey sausage, "garden" peppers and tomatoes, onion, and peperoncini.

edited to add: I found the bulgogi threads and, well, it sounds Italian to me!
  Re: Re: Where's Barbara? Sunday Dinner - 10/17?? by foodfiend (I have to look up th...)
" I found the bulgogi threads and, well, it sounds Italian to me!"

We all have our favorites. I want to cheerleader my version, but that doesn't mean the others aren't good. Just a personal preference, I guess.

IMHO, the C@H is a sweet version of the recipe. Lab's recipe, if I remember correctly, has ginger....making it a little different. Mine is a very savory version of the recipe, but I WILL be adding some heat with a tablespoon or two of the hot chile sauce to the recipe.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Where's Barbara? Sunday Dinner - 10/17?? by Gourmet_Mom (" I found the bulgog...)
And, since you have obviously made bulgogi, how would the flavors work if I used chicken instead of steak (and altered the cooking time a bit, as well)?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Where's Barbara? Sunday Dinner - 10/17?? by foodfiend (And, since you have ...)
Vicci, I'd do it with boneless, skinless, thighs in a heartbeat! Using my recipe, I'm not sure I'd go 24 hours on the marinade, though. But I wouldn't hesitate.

For the C@H recipe, I think it would work fine. Actually, the C@H version would probably be better with chicken, but cut back on the heat, unless you like it really spicy.

As far as Lab's recipe, I'll let him answer. The biggest difference in his and mine, if I remember correctly, is the ginger....if that makes a difference.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Where's Barbara? Sunday Dinner - 10/17?? by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, I'd do it wit...)
We do Italian on Sunday's, too. Chose recipes from Calabria for yesterday -- swordfish baked with olives, tomatoes, basil, capers; marinated eggplant; pasta stuffed tomatoes; and an orange salad. Young daughter made a chocolate cake for our friend Isadora's birthday.
[Image: 69487_10100249135147980_1940219_60356911_571816_n.jpg] [Image: 39600_10100249135327620_1940219_60356917_8105606_n.jpg]
  Re: Re: Where's Barbara? Sunday Dinner - 10/17?? by HomeCulinarian (We do Italian on Sun...)
Looks like a wonderful meal. Could you share the pasta stuffed tomato recipe?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Where's Barbara? Sunday Dinner - 10/17?? by farnfam (Looks like a wonderf...)
darn, another great sounding dinner missed at Jeannette's!!

"Well, I should have posted earlier, maybe you'd want to do these: We made some ravioli, stuffed with a very spicy crab and ricotta filling. Topped with roasted eggplant and pesto garnished with fried mushrooms. Man it was good"

I wish you had posted earlier also, Cis - sounds wonderful!

Well, I did find 7 lonely shrimp in the freezer, so did make garlic roasted over pasta and a side of lima beans. Really good. Now, it's time to replenish the bag of shrimp!

[Image: CIMG0058.jpg]

"Well, I hope to finally make that Bulgogi." - Daphne, is this in one of the latest issues? And the version you prefer, is that a C@H also?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Where's Barbara? Sunday Dinner - 10/17?? by HomeCulinarian (We do Italian on Sun...)
Wow, what a lovely meal, Jeannette! It all looks/sounds delicious, and the chocolate cake just makes my mouth water.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Where's Barbara? Sunday Dinner - 10/17?? by Mare749 (Wow, what a lovely m...)
Wow, Jeannette, what a lovely meal! Linens and everything!

Jean, those shrimp are making my mouth water. Regarding the Bulgogi, this is the recipe in the Cuisine at Home Issue 70; page 15. My favorite is one a friend gave me years ago. You made it recently.
Daphne