REVIEW: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with Creamy
  Re: (...)
Mustard Sauce

Tonight I tried the Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with Creamy Mustard Sauce recipe from the [Email]C@H[/Email] October Issue - Issue #83. It was a BIG hit! It was really not that hard to make, and it only dirties one pan, a couple of cutting boards, and the ramekins….A very easy clean-up.

Changes:
-Instead of using the bread bowls, I lined ramekins with egg roll wrappers and pre-baked at 400 degrees for about 7-10 minutes, until light brown.
-I didn’t have quite enough stone ground mustard, so I had to sub half with Dijon. I'll be using all stone ground next time.
-I had half and half on hand, so didn’t get cream. I think this would account for my sauce not getting as thick as I would have expected.

Recommendations:
-I would like to try it with pie crust, but I would roll it out a little to make a thinner crust. I would also try it with one pre-baked and one not. I’m not sure which way would work best….probably the pre-baked.
-Try it with cream next time, just for kicks.
-My sauté pan was too small. I will use my large pan next time. The chicken didn’t brown at all. Did it make a difference with the sauce thickening? I don’t know. I’ll leave that answer to the experts or my next attempt.

The mustard in the sauce sends this dish over the top. William was drinking it and gave that part of the dish a 10. Not having made this in a bread bowl, I shouldn’t say, but I can’t see it making this taste any better. And for presentation, I let you decide. We gave this dish a 9 overall. We will definitely have this one again. The flavors were excellent!

[Image: DSC04922.jpg]

[Image: DSC04926.jpg]

[Image: DSC04934.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: REVIEW: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with Creamy by Gourmet_Mom (Mustard Sauce[br][br...)
Daphne that looks and sound delicious! I've got two chicken breasts in the freezer so this might go on the menu soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with Creamy by Harborwitch (Daphne that looks an...)
You know, on reflection, I think a canned biscuit pressed out to form the "bowl" might work also. I'd probably still pre-bake it half to 3/4 the recommended cooking time for the biscuits before filling. The flaky would be especially good. And then a puff pastry "bowl" would be the ultimate, in my opinion. I will probably try the puff pastry pre-baked first.
Daphne
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with Creamy by Gourmet_Mom (You know, on reflect...)
OOOOOOOh that sounds good. Schwans biscuits! Oh gawd they are so flaky and delicate.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with Creamy by Harborwitch (OOOOOOOh that sounds...)
I've got a question. Where does the Cordon Bleu come from? The "Bleu" part makes me think of blue cheese.
Daphne
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with Creamy by Gourmet_Mom (I've got a question....)
Literally, "Blue Ribbon." It has nothing to do with bleu cheese, since Cordon Bleu is made with Swiss cheese.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with Creamy by labradors (Literally, "Blue Rib...)
When I was young and impudent and someone said "I'll fix you something, what would you like?" my standard answer was Chicken Cordon Blue. I got a lot of eh em eh.... as responses. Anyway, I do like the dish. Here is one definition:

Chicken Cordon Bleu is a French-inspired poultry dish, although evidence suggests that Chicken Cordon Bleu was actually developed in the United States by chefs imitating other stuffed meat dishes from Europe. The name of the dish is clearly of French origin – Cordon Bleu means “blue ribbon” in French, and in French culinary tradition, the Cordon Bleu is awarded to food or chefs of particularly high quality. The European dish most similar to Chicken Cordon Bleu is Chicken Kiev, chicken stuffed with seasoned butter, dredged in bread crumbs, and fried. The dish was also likely heavily influenced by Veal Cordon Bleu, a Swiss dish in which veal is wrapped in ham and cheese and fried.

The basic components of Chicken Cordon Bleu are chicken, ham or prosciutto, and a cheese such as Swiss or Gruyere. Many recipes also integrate bread crumbs as a crust. There are numerous ways to prepare Chicken Cordon Bleu – the simplest is to create a layered dish with chicken on the bottom, mostly cooked, with the ham and cheese added towards the end of the cooking process to be warmed and melted. Cooks attempting to make a more weight-conscious version of this dish might prefer this preparation, because it can be baked rather than fried.

Cooks can also slice a hole in the chicken, insert the cheese, and wrap the stuffed chicken in ham before rolling it in breadcrumbs and frying or baking it. However, Chicken Cordon Bleu most often appears in a rolled presentation, with the chicken butterflied and pounded flat and the ham and cheese wrapped up inside. The tightly rolled Chicken Cordon Bleu can then be dipped in breadcrumbs and fried, grilled, or roasted.

To make a basic rolled Chicken Cordon Bleu, preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C) while preparing your other ingredients. Butterfly four boneless, skinless chicken breasts and pound them to a thickness of approximately ¼ inch (a little under a centimeter). Lay the chicken breasts flat, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and layer a slice of ham or prosciutto and a slice of cheese on top. Roll tightly, securing with toothpicks if needed. Beat an egg and set it out in a shallow dish, along with breadcrumbs.

It appears the recipe from C@H is a deconstructed version. It looks wonderful. I somehow stopped received the erecipes I just realized. Not sure why I was unsubscribed, but I redid it.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with Creamy by Cubangirl (When I was young and...)
Great looking dish, Daphne - Is this Issue #83? (I only ask because after looking at that anon-rellenos thread, just noting the month won't help us find this 10 years from now. )

Your ideas are really interesting - we'll all probably have to make 3 or 4 versions.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with Creamy by cjs (Great looking dish, ...)
Oh I like the biscuit idea too. Daphne, what size ramekins did you use?
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole with Creamy by Trixxee (Oh I like the biscui...)
I have no idea...about a 2 cup capacity. The standard size you would use for creme bruleé.

You know, Jean, I didn't think about that. It is Issue #83. If you can add it to the original post, that would be great.

BTW, this reheated great. I took the sauce separately and added it after warming it and the casserole in the microwave for 2 minutes.
Daphne