Next Review Dinner recipes
  Re: (...)
Here are the recipes for the next review dinner from the current issue. Review date will be Monday, Sept. 27. I won't be here, so I'll email my review to Jean before I leave town. I liked this recipe because they gave other suggestions for the meat, so thought it might appeal to everyone.

* Exported from MasterCook *

STEAK GOULASH STEW

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time 30-35 minutes
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika -- divided
1 teaspoon each, kosher salt and black pepper
1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, trimmed -- sliced into 2" strips
4 strips bacon -- diced (4 oz.)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced onion
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
2 cups low sodium beef broth
1/2 cup sliced roasted red pepper
1 Tablespoon (or 2 T. if you want) red wine vinegar
Sour cream, fresh dill sprigs, and prepared horseradish.

Combine flour, 1 T. paprika, salt and black pepper in a paper bag. Add steak and toss to coat with flour mixture and set aside.

Cook bacon in a saute pan until crisp. Remove bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate and set aside.

Add oil to pan with drippings, heat over medium until shimmering. Sear steak strips in two batches, 1 minute per side. Remove steak strips to a plate;set aside..

Saute onion and garlic in same pan over medium-high heat, 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, 1 T paprika, caraway seeds and remaining flour mixture from bag; cook 1-2 minutes.

Deglaze the pan with broth, scraping up bits on bottom of pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer stew until thickened, about 5 minutes.

Add steak with residual juices, sliced peppers and vinegar; simmer 3 minutes. Season stew with salt and black pepper.

Serve stew with Sour Cream and Horseradish Noodles. Garnish each serving with sour cream, dill, horseradish, and bacon.

SOUR CREAM & HORSERADISH NOODLES
Makes 6 cups

8 oz. dry wide egg noodles
1/2 cup sour cream
2 T, chopped fresh dill
1 T. prepared horseradish
Salt to taste

Cook noodles in a pot of boiling salted water according to package directions; drain.

Combine sour cream, dill and horseradish in a large bowl. Toss noodles with sour cream mixture and season with salt.

Description:
"Cuisine at Home Issue 83, October 2010, page 11"
Yield:
"4 cups"

NOTES : Lean, tender cuts of meat, like pork tenderloin, sirloin steak, and chicken breast, eliminate the need for long-simmering stew.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Next Review Dinner recipes by Mare749 (Here are the recipes...)
Sounds good! After the success of the Quick Chicken Marengo, I'm excited to try this one as well.
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner recipes by karyn (Sounds good! After t...)
Speaking of review dinners, there hasn't been any mention of birthday-review dinners in a while. For example, Sharon, Denise and others were in August, and there were birthday wishes, but no review dinners. Just too much else going on right now?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner recipes by labradors (Speaking of review d...)
I was holding my breath that someone whould chooose a b'day dinner, but nada. That's why I went ahead. Maybe one day a b'day guy/gal will chooose.

Maryann, menu sounds really good. I think I'm going with the long-cookin' style and let the whole house smell good for a while.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner recipes by cjs (I was holding my bre...)
Oh, I had this one marked! Good pick, Maryann! I think I've got everything to make this, so I'll probably make it this weekend. The nights here are cooling down enough that this will be a nice dinner. Thanks Maryann!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner recipes by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I had this one m...)
"Maryann, menu sounds really good. I think I'm going with the long-cookin' style and let the whole house smell good for a while."

But, but, but......the whole idea is to make a stew in 30 minutes out of lean cuts of meat!
Maryann

Re: Re: Next Review Dinner recipes by Mare749 ("Maryann, menu sound...)
DH picked up our mail today and this issue was in the bin-- guess which magazine I opened first?!

This sounds like a perfect dinner for a rainy day, which we are *supposed* to have a couple of later on this week. I can't believe that I am saying this, but I'm looking forward to a few meals that do not feature seafood!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner recipes by foodfiend (DH picked up our mai...)
Welcome home, Vicci!
Maryann

Re: Re: Next Review Dinner recipes by Mare749 (Welcome home, Vicci!...)
oh, well, guess I'd better look at it again...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Next Review Dinner recipes by cjs (oh, well, guess I'd ...)
It sounds awfully good - and doable in the motorhome!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!