Name that bean!
  Re: (...)
I have a photo that I can download, but perhaps someone can give me the answer with just a description.

We were in Maine the other day and stopped at a farmstand. I bought the best corn-on-the-cob I've had yet this year, plus a pint of some very tiny (and very pricey) Maine blueberries. I also bought what the girl at the stand called "shelling beans". The pods are ivory in color and streaked with burgundy. The bean inside is white with burgundy splotches. Any idea exactly what kind of shelling beans these are?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Name that bean! by foodfiend (I have a photo that ...)
I think I have seen those in Wegmans, but have never bought them. Hopefully PJ or Rob will have your answer. Now you have me curious.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Name that bean! by chef_Tab (I think I have seen ...)
Not sure, but maybe cranberry beans?

Hope you are having a perfect vacation, Vicci! We all are hoping that the hurricane doesn't ruin any vacation days for you.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Name that bean! by Mare749 (Not sure, but maybe ...)
Perhaps something from THIS list or THIS one? (Cranberry is one of the ones in the second list.)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Name that bean! by labradors (Perhaps something fr...)
Labs, thanks for the two links-- great resources!

Okay, these look like they are cranberry beans and this proves it. web page
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Name that bean! by foodfiend (Labs, thanks for the...)
Cool! Way to go, Maryann!

Vicci, are you sure the pictures on that page aren't Jelly Bellies?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Name that bean! by labradors (Cool! Way to go, Ma...)
What a curious looking bean. I'm stumped. I'll be anxious to hear how you prepare them and how they taste!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Name that bean! by Gourmet_Mom (What a curious looki...)
I thought of cranberry beans from your description also, Vicci. I didn't realize they were such an old bean.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Name that bean! by cjs (I thought of cranber...)
Is this the bean?

I found this too. "The cranberry bean is about the same size as the pinto bean, so I cooked them the same amount of time. One more tidbit, they turn brown after they're cooked. "

[Image: 1353885628_cc18b4d6a5.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Name that bean! by foodfiend (Labs, thanks for the...)
I've never known the correct name for them. We just called them shelled beans. I either pressure cook them or stew them in the oven with a little butter, salt and pepper. Old fashioned comfort food I grew up with. Still make a pot when I'm feeling down but then I have to eat them all week.

Now I know what they really are. Thanks.

PJ
PJ