I found this recipe for a marinade for my fish:

3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, grated

While fish cooks, pour reserved marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook 7 minutes, or until marinade is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Brush fish with glaze and garnish with sliced green onion.

A while back, there was a discussion about NOT using a marinade on a finished dish, even if you cook it. Am I remembering correctly, or would this be safe?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Marinade Question by Gourmet_Mom (I found this recipe ...)
You might have read something, but as long as I boil the marinade I've always used it. And, I recommend it in books, so I guess that tells you how sure I feel......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Daphne

the chinese way of cooking never marinate any type of fish with so many ingredients. Basic rule we do is

Fresh water fish:
pinch of salt, dash of pepper and some sesame oil(just a drizzle will do).

Salt water fish:
one egg, beaten, drizzle of sesame oil and some grounded white pepper

To cook it:
Deep fried: we dust the fish with cornstarch
Steamed : just put the fish on a plate and steam

The marinate is unheard of. We often concoct a sauce to go with the different types of fishes.

Why we don't marinate any fish?
Because when you do, you cannot taste the freshness of the fish. And it means the host buys DEAD fish to serve. In Singapore, fresh fish comes from the sea, caught only a few hours before its weigh, and sold.

DEAD fish means its been caught and left out in the open to rot and it smells bad. So you need a marinate to hide the foul smell.

My daughter use to ask me this :
"Mummy, but fishes are already DEAD when you cook it?" LOL!
One thing I learn from my mom was :

If you can smell a fish from 5 metres away, its been dead too long.
Fresh fish has 'no' smell. In fact, it should smell of the sea.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Marinade Question by Gina_Choong (Daphne[br][br]the ch...)
True enough, Gina. I usually do my fish very simply, but I wanted something a little different tonight to go with my sesame noodles. It was VERY GOOD!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Marinade Question by Gourmet_Mom (True enough, Gina. I...)
Daphne, the fish in marinade is right up our alley! Thanks for posting the recipe.Smile What did you serve with?

ps- I almost always boil my marinade to serve with the cooked fish or poultry, but I boil it very, very well. It's a nice finishing touch.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
Sounds like a tasty glaze to me. I'll try it. What kind of fish did you use, Daphne?

Gina, where we live, we do get fish fresh from the Great Lakes, but most other fish is brought in frozen because we don't live right next to the Atlantic, Pacific, or Gulf. It's not that it's bad or anything, we just like the flavors of a marinade sometimes.

One example would be with salmon. We love to marinade salmon in teriyaki sauce for a couple of hours, then put it on the grill, but if we didn't marinade it, it would still be very good with a bit of butter, lemon and some herbs.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Marinade Question by Gourmet_Mom (True enough, Gina. I...)
I love marinades--but I have begun to use rubs more on everything. I think the rubs get into the meat more--I substitute granulated garlic for fresh, onion powder for fresh, dry mustard and white wine vinegar rub for Dijon, fresh ground black pepper, sea salt, paprika for color, white & cayenne pepper for flavor for spice, pour over olive oil and rub in--and then depending on your taste and the meat, add corander, nutmeg, celery powder, cumin powder and anything else. Let rest for an hour or so at room temp--then grill or sautee'.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Marinade Question by Old Bay (I love marinades--bu...)
Different strokes..but if it pleases your palate, I guess that works too. Salmon comes to singapore 2 ways

Fresh, airflown, chilled...that's used for sushi making or japanese cuisine
Frozen, airflown, these are for cooking, grilling etc.

I use the bones to do a nice rich fish stock. And use the stock to cook rice to make a nice porridge. Good for someone who is recovering from an illness. And great for little babies who are starting to wean off milk.

hmmm..maybe I go dig a good fish soup noodle recipe to post here later.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Marinade Question by Gina_Choong (Different strokes..b...)
BTW, I didn't post the whole recipe. The fish only marinates for a total of 20-30 minutes, flipping it half way. It was REALLY good. I served it with a sesame noodle recipe from Pioneer Woman. We will definitely be having this again. It was super easy and fast!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Marinade Question by Gourmet_Mom (BTW, I didn't post t...)
Daphne, is Pioneer Woman a book or a magazine? It sounds really good. I love fish, I should make a point to have more of it.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura