Chinese Pickled Cucumbers
  Re: (...)
we had this in a chinese fast food joint in Shenzhen during our holidays in Hong Kong. No idea of how to translate it from Chinese to English, so I shall named this as Chinese Pickled Cucumbers. :-)

This is not the exact copy of the dish as I do not have the recipe. This is just a trial and error and fix it to work for our taste recipe. :-D

Whole family loved it. So here's my recipe for it.

[Image: pickledcucumbers.jpg]

Ingredients
3 pcs of Japanese cucumbers, washed, cut into smaller bite size pieces

sauce : to be mixed together
70ml Black vinegar(Chin Kiang Black Vinegar)
50ml Sesame oil
2 tbsp Roasted Garlic bits
1 tbsp sugar

Method
1. Add sauce to cucumber pieces and toss to mix evenly.
2. Put into a container and leave it in the fridge to chill for at least 30 mins.
3. Serve cold, as an appetizer.

Notes for Buddhist Vegetarians : can't take garlic due to religion
1. Omit Garlic and add 2 tbsp young ginger that is shredded finely.

Notes about storage
1. If you want to keep this in the fridge overnight, do not mix the sauce with the cucumbers. The cucumbers will turn soft and watery the next day.

2. If you want to prepare this ahead for a party, do the sauce first. then cut up the cucumbers and set aside. 1 hour before party starts, toss and mix sauce and cucumbers together and chill. Serve cold.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Chinese Pickled Cucumbers by Gina_Choong (we had this in a chi...)
Oh, Gina! This is William's all time FAVORITE! I can't wait to try it with the black vinegar! I can't believe I never thought of adding garlic to the mix. We DO add sweet onion slices, but your recipe takes it to a whole new level! I'll be trying this one over the weekend. I'll let you know what William thinks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chinese Pickled Cucumbers by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Gina! This is W...)
Very much like our venerable favorite C@H cucumber salad recipe.

I have lots of black vinegar and my ginger stored in vodka (heee heeee hic, at least I have ginger in ND), and lots of garlic. Have to get cucumbers in town today.

Thank you Gina!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chinese Pickled Cucumbers by Harborwitch (Very much like our v...)
oh, forgot to say..I used zucchini once with this..but cook it by easy stir fry..still deliciously good! but not served cold. Just warm.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Chinese Pickled Cucumbers by Gina_Choong (oh, forgot to say..I...)
This sounds wonderful! Thank you Gina!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Chinese Pickled Cucumbers by Gina_Choong (we had this in a chi...)
Gina, I gave this the ultimate test in adaption--I used local cucumbers, peeled, seeded salted and drained for an hour, rinsed. I did have black vinegar, I used toasted sesame oil with the other ingredients. It was wonderful!! Loved it!! Great recipe--most pantries can make it work if you have the vinegar!! Thanks.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".